• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harley pipes

how do harley pipes sound on a gs850 i got straight pipes now

looking to quiet down

Comment

Talk to tkent. He put Harley mufflers on his 650. Seem to recall he said they didn't flow too great. There are some generic slip-on mufflers sold by JC Whitney. The Dunstall knock offs are reputed to sound pretty good.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I put them on my 1100G and it is just a little bit louder than stock but way quieter than straight pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Talk to tkent. He put Harley mufflers on his 650. Seem to recall he said they didn't flow too great. There are some generic slip-on mufflers sold by JC Whitney. The Dunstall knock offs are reputed to sound pretty good.
          We put a set of the longer ones on my son's 450T several years ago.
          Sounded kind of goofy, probably because they were on a twin.
          They probably sound better on a four.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea Tkent also told me that the Harley pipes don't sound that great and advised me to stay away from them.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I replaced my Mac mufflers on my 850 with barely used harley mufflers I got for ten bucks at a swamp meet. I like the way they sound (much better than Mac) and seemed to increase the power a little, also solved alot of popping on deaccleration. terrylee

Comment

They sound OK, not too loud, just made the bike slow as molasses, and made it run very rich. We're talking 25 mpg rich. Much more restrictive than the stock Suzuki 4-2 pipes. I didn't put them on, they were on the bike when I got it. Sure you could tune it for the pipes, make it a little better, but it would still be restrictive and slow.

It's so bad I have parked it until some better pipes show up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've run two different sets on two different 850's with good results. Liked the sound and no tuning problems. I think the key is get a set that are still stock/unmodified. A lot of them will have had the center restrictor plate knocked out to make them louder. I had to put them back in the first set I had. It just looks like a freeze plug. I'd recommend them to anyone needing cheep mufflers.
                  09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                  83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                  81 GS650G for the wife.
                  82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                  I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                  If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                  Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

this bike has 13.1 compression head job and cams it a beast i just want to quiet it down and i am getting a set off a 1995 Harley Electra glide for free so i am going to try them better then 3 1/2 inch straight pipes it so loud

Comment

Working...
                    X