Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those of you with pods, what do you do with the breather hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those of you with pods, what do you do with the breather hose?

Those of you with pods, what do you do with the valve cover breather hose? On my '83 GS750es the valve cover breather hose plugs into the airbox, but now that I'm going with pods I have nothing to plug into. I was thinking that I would just buy a straight through automotive fuel filter and then add some more hose and route it down and under the bike.

Good idea? ~ bad idea? ~ got a better idea?

I just left mine hang free, runs fine

Comment

I ran mine back under the seat where the rear air box used to be and ran it into a little home made catch can. Eventually if you've got a little bit of blowby going, it will make a oily mess that's merely a pita but nothing more.

Comment

I put a little filter on it and ran it straight up.

This has two benefits.
        First, the filter can absorb any blow by if it occurs.
        Second, since it goes straight up any blow by has the chance to run back down into the valve cover where it came from.

Comment

I have a little K&N and an old Cool Whip bowl with a hole cut in it for the filter nipple.
          Even new engines get a little oil blow by.
          Nice pics Kid
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, something like this from denniskirk.com...

You can get a chrome unit too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Nice pics Kid
              Smartazz. It's 10 F in my garage, I wasn't about to go back and see if I could get some in better focus.
              The filter has a chrome top; I got it off the chrome accessories wall in my local auto parts store for a song.

Comment

I just got a longer hose and ran it out back behind the engine, worked for me.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I made a catch tank out of a bit of spare PVC tube I had lying around and glued clear acrylic perspex circles in the ends as sight glasses. I mounted a breather filter on a brass hose fitting on one end and have the hose from the breather cover going to another hose fitting at the other tank. I also have a little fuel tap from a mower shop as a drain.

However, it's started weeping oil out the ends where I glued the end caps in, I'm guessing the glue doesn't like the oil.

Someone from another forum put me onto this:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...wordsearch.asp

Providing they'll ship internationally for a good price that'll be the replacement.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Lot's of good ideas, thank's guys!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Yes, something like this from denniskirk.com...

You can get a chrome unit too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Just ordered one thanks Cliff!

Comment

V-Twin Chrome Engine Breather Oil Collector 40-0595 which I managed to find for under $50 online.

Comment

I'm about to pod/jet the wife's bike, too. I'm thinking real hard about T-ing the breather hose and plumbing the ends into the pods, either into the boot or into the center of the end plate.

Comment

Yep, I got the same little filter as BassCliff and put it right on the valve cover outlet. Periodically, I pull it off and clean it.

Comment

I went old school on my son's 650.

I just bought a new hose (it's about 6 feet long) and cut it long enough to follow the frame down to the swingarm pivot. The hose extends an inch or so below the engine so it's in the air stream, and the end is cut at an angle to provide just a bit of suction.

I know it's not the environmentally-responsible solution, but it works.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X