Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those of you with pods, what do you do with the breather hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the purpose of a catch can, what's the point of a filter? Isn't the breather an outlet for blow by gases? Does it ever suck air into the valve cover?
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The filter is merely a medium to catch the oil droplets as they pass by.

It is an effort to be a bit more responsible than I am, with my open hose.

You are correct, any movement of air will likely be going OUT, but as the engine cools,
      I am sure that some will go IN as the air in the crankcase cools off and contracts.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I went old school on my son's 650.

I just bought a new hose (it's about 6 feet long) and cut it long enough to follow the frame down to the swingarm pivot. The hose extends an inch or so below the engine so it's in the air stream, and the end is cut at an angle to provide just a bit of suction.

I know it's not the environmentally-responsible solution, but it works.

Mine is similar, but uses the exhaust to pull a slight vacuumm on the engine...

Last edited by dorkburger; 09-25-2015, 08:59 AM.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          I understand the purpose of a catch can, what's the point of a filter? Isn't the breather an outlet for blow by gases? Does it ever suck air into the valve cover?
          The breather vents both ways, piston movement causes pulses of pressure in the crank case.
          From the little I know a crank case is mostly pressurized while running so it is mostly venting out, but by that very nature, at some point, it has to suck back in.

Comment

No rings seal perfectly, so crankcases are positively pressurized by blow by.

Comment

On my ktm powered atv, Ive got an aftermarket check valve installed in the crankcase breather that's basically a heavy duty PCV valve. It's a 500cc+ single cylinder and you can feel the air pulsing out of the valve with that big piston moving up and down. It only allows the pressure out which helps the rings seal and keeps the pressure off the seals to help prevent leaks. It works so well that after I shut off the quad it'll sometimes make a funny "growl" as the pressure equalizes. I'd think some type of automotive PCV valve would probably work pretty good on our bikes as there probably isn't near as much "pulsing" with 4 cylinders as there is with one big one. Just a thought.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
              X