carbs sticking after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs sticking after rebuild

I tried searching, but every thing I found was about the throttle cable. I tore my carbs down completely, dipped them, and replaced all of the o-rings. I reassembled them, did a bench synch, and put them back on the bike. When I was hooking up the throttle cable, I noticed there was a lot of resistance to turning the throttle, and that it was VERY slow to close again (on the order of 10-15 seconds).This happens even if the throttle cable isn't connected to the carbs. I don't see anything rubbing on the linkages, so I'm stumped. Is there anything else I can check or try before pulling the carbs and tearing them down again? Obviously I'm not going to start the bike until I get this figured out.

Bike is a 1980 gs550e with BS32 carbs.

Thanks in advance!

One thing to try... disconnect the throttle cable and move the throttle linkage with your hands to full open. The butterflys should open smoothly (against spring pressure) and close with a thud when you release the linkage. If they don't do this, something is wrong.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's where I'm at, unfortunately. Without the throttle cable attached, they open smoothly, but with a lot of resistance (much more than before the rebuild). And nothing even close to snapping shut when I let go. They close so slowly that I can push the linkage closed, and there is resistance in that direction too. I'm afraid I need to pull them again, which I'm not looking forward to after the wrestling match it took to get them in.

Comment

It sounds like the shaft that joins all 4 butterfly valves together is binding for some reason. One possible cause (pure supposition) is that the two brackets that connect all 4 carbs together are misaligned.

Comment

loosen the bolts to the mounting rails. wiggle everything until the throttles close nicely. carefully retighten.

Comment

That sounds like a possibility. I'll have to see if I can loosen them up while they're still installed.Thanks!

Comment

Got it figured out. Loosening the rack bolts didn't do much, so I pulled the carbs. Once I separated them, it was obvious that the number 1 carb wasn't moving freely. Turns out the throttle blade wasn't quite centered on the shaft, so it was binding against the side of the carb body. Loosened the screws that hold the blade to the shaft, and wiggled the shaft side to side to get the blade centered.tightened the screws back up, and it's nice and snappy now! Hope this helps someone in the future with the same issue. Btw, this was my error. I don't remember why I took the blade off the shaft in the first place, but I obviously assembled it incorrectly.

Comment

Awesome. Strange that you chose to remove it, but great that you figured it out.

Comment

I had removed it to make one good carb out of two bad ones... Did it before the holidays though, and completely forgot about it by the time I returned to the project.

Comment

Good read. I like to see posts which conclude with self-improved knowledge with the guidance of veteran GSR members.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
                    X