gs1100 1982 bogs down under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 1982 bogs down under load

I just got a gs1100 from a good friend of mine it has 14000 miles on it . The bike ran great last summer. He had all the gasket replaces.that's when i test drove it. It has a mac pipe and had pods. I dont think it was jet for the pods. so any ways i got the bike on a cold day after not being ran for 3 month. The bike did not want to start at all i sprayed starting fluid on the pods and the only way we got it to start was to soak the pods with started fluid. The when it did start it and warmed up it rev up fine. But as i tried to go down the road when i would hit 5000-6000 rpm it would bog down. I did not do this month ago. It ran a little lean but not like that. So i got it home and put the stock air box on cleaned the plug and it did the same thing. So i checked the air/fuel mixture.. it was turned 7 turned out so i turned it back to 2 3/4 turns out. took it for a ride still would not go pas 6000 under load... so i took it home let it sit over night and did a cylinder compression test on it they all tested good and did not leak down.. checked to make sure all the plugs where sparking and the gap and ever this is as it should.. but now it is cold out and it wont start.. even with starting fluid. i have had 10 bike in my day and non this hard to start in the cold i dont get it it acts like it not even firing under 60 fahrenheit with all setting of the chock. i dont know if the is a cab. or timing. or spark or what..... please help... Feel kind of like i got a lemon
    [IMG][/IMG]

just did more work on it found out its only running on 3 cylinders. If you are siting on the bike the far left cylinder is not firing. I am not sure why it has good compression but the plug looks like brand new and a little wet! when as long as it ran it should not look band new! it also has good spark and a new plug in it.??????? i know its that cylinder because i pulled the wire off wile it was running and the idle or sound did not change! what now?

Comment

start here:

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

-Dave
      82 GS1100E
      five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
      Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

I just got it on my own number 3 and 4 where switch around runs great now i could not test it well because there is snow here in ohio but all fix!

Comment

You should be able to tell if a 4 cylinder engine is running on 3 cylinders. If all are firing it is a smooth sound. If one is out it kind of makes a putt-putt sound, a distinct miss.

Comment

all it was making was a ping sound that's how i found out .

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. melvinew2,

I doubt you have a lemon. Thirty year old bikes need regular maintenance. Start with the carbs and properly clean them and jet them. You might want to drop some coin on a Dynojet Stage 3 kit to save you a lot of hassle. You will also need to check the valves and make sure they are adjusted properly. The rest of the maintenance list is in the links below. It's the S.W.A.G., otherwise known and the "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Congrats, welcome, and be sure and walk through the steps outlined by BassCliff's site.
                Always good to see another GS on the road.

Comment

Nice bike!

You will have to strip down and clean the carbs, old fuel and crud forms quickly with the gasoline today. And it sounds like you need new spark plug caps and wires(since you're getting a miss on 1 cylinder)

Bogging is usually related to carburetor problem, something could be gummed up, running way too lean or way too rich. Either way, carbs needs to get ripped apart.
                  Also check your intake boots, make sure they are all tight, no leaks.

I would advise AGAINST using shortcuts, in an attempt to get the bike running. These bikes don't like shortcuts, and it will probably leave you stranded and frustrated. Just break the carbs down, get them dipped clean, and order any new Gaskets and O-rings that you need. And go threw basscliffs maintenance website.

good luck, and let us know if you need help, there are usually members close enough to come and help.

Comment

If those carbs were not jetted for the pods you could damage your motor by running lean. The Mac pipe I've read doesn't change the jetting too much.
                    I would start with a 122.5 main jet, 47.5 pilot jet and shim the needle by removing the jet needle out of the slide and removing the plastic over the needle and replacing it with two washers you can get from radio shack.
                    OR just get a Dynojet kit which I recommend.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have the dyno jet kit in now But my pilot just is to little it is a 45. I also saw my air jet was a 160. Is that ok To run with a 47.5 pilot jet or should i go with a 50? When the bike was running to get it to idle right the air/fuel screw was 6 1/2 turns out. That is way to many turns out.

Comment

You should put in the 47.5.
                        Try denniskirk.com for the jets.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I have stock 82 carbs so BS30/96 jets right?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              You should put in the 47.5.
                              Try denniskirk.com for the jets.

Ok i put the 47.5 pilot jet in in i am runing dyno jet 138 main one the 4 spot down on the needle and a 160 air/pilot jet. the pilot screw still has to be 4 1/2 turns out to idle right. should i go up more in the pilot? if it matter any when i pull the chock out the bike stalls out and dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X