fuel stabilizer curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel stabilizer curiosity

Over the last few riding seasons, i've observed that my cycle runs better on the last and first ride of each riding season. I figured at first it was emotional: sadness of the last ride for a few months, and the joy of the first ride. It was actually due to the fuel stabilizer in the tank. I tested this theory last summer, adding some mid season. Sure enough the cycle ran smoother, and was more responsive. Why? Is todays fuel as awful as some claim, or could the stabilizer be helping cover some other deficiency on the bike? The cycle in question is a gs1150 with k&n pods, dynojet stage 3 jet kit , and a yoshimura 4 into i exhaust. The bike doesn't run poorly without the stabilizer, just slightly but noticeably better with it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Today's fuel is poor -ethanol is nasty stuff,the sooner the FEDS stop subsidizing it the better as it will disappear. Lots of folks run a dose of stabilizer at all times, so feel free to experiment some more. I keep it in my generator at all times.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also, be careful if you travel through the midwest. There is now E-15 out there at a few pumps in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. All major corn producers, of course. It's a few cents cheaper to lure you in, but the extra ethanol wreaks havoc on vehicles not set up for it. I understand that all 2012 and newer vehicles have fuel systems set up to handle higher-ethanol fuels, but the computers might not be programmed to handle it unless the vehicle is specifically "Flex-fuel compatible".

Interesting video: click HERE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I first noticed this about 8 years ago and have become a proponent of adding Seafoam to each tank ( a couple of caps full) and a good dollop (1/3 to 1/2 a can) before winter layup.

It might just be wishful thinking on my part but they do seem to start and run better with it than without.

Spyug

Comment

If anyone is traveling in BC. Use Chevron 94. Its ethanol free and has a separate hose so no contamination from the previous fill up.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
          https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

First let me state that I DO NOT advocate; nor have I tried or have any experience with, what I am about to post...

I have read on a few of the motorcycle forums I read and participate on/in that some have reported have good success adding TC3 to the fuel as an additive. TC3 is the 2 stroke oil typically used for power equipment as I understand it (think chain saw).

The reported results are - better idling, improved economy, added power, and cleaner plugs...?

I have not experienced this..however I have exerienced something similar by adding MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil). Better MPG overall when running it...I also notice better economy sometimes when running Seafoam fuel mixtures too..But I live in an area that features the 10% corn fuel mix and I always do better when I get real old fashioned gas as I travel the countryside...

Just my 2 ¢

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              I first noticed this about 8 years ago and have become a proponent of adding Seafoam to each tank ( a couple of caps full) and a good dollop (1/3 to 1/2 a can) before winter layup.

It might just be wishful thinking on my part but they do seem to start and run better with it than without.

Spyug
              Not wishful thinking at all. I'm the last to suggest that there is a mystery fix in a can however, I never have drained the fuel bowls on anything I own (there is a theory in my madness ) and have always put up the toys and seasonal power tools with sea foam and Stabil and have never had a fuel related issue.

Plain truth is that the stuff works...

Comment

I run at least 1/2 ounce of Marine Stabil (blue/ethanol stabil) in every tank. Bikes always run good and I never have clogged or dysfunctional carbs. Only time it runs better then with treated fuel is when of cource I find ethanol free fuels...

Remember these machines were never designed to burn 10% Ethanol gasoline so of course they won't run 100% correctly with only 90% correct fuel...
                Last edited by Jedz123; 02-07-2013, 01:32 AM.
                Jedz Moto
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2002 Honda Reflex 250
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  I run at least 1/2 ounce of Marine Stabil (blue/ethanol stabil) in every tank. Bikes always run good and I never have clogged or dysfunctional carbs. Only time it runs better then with treated fuel is when of cource I find ethanol free fuels...

Remember these machines were never designed to burn 10% Ethanol gasoline so of course they won't run 100% correctly with only 90% correct fuel...
                  X2

- marine stabilizer
                  - marvel mystery oil
                  - lead supplement additive

Top end of that bike runs unbelievably smooth.

Comment

Lead substitute? Never thought about trying that. I had a manual that said you could run leaded or unleaded fuels... I'll have to give it a whirl.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2002 Honda Reflex 250
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Anything built for the US market after the early seventies is OK with unleaded fuel.

The lead went away in 1974 I think.

The alcohol is the problem.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Lead in fuel didn't really disappear until about 82 or so. We were still selling leaded fuel then. It then was gradually reduced to almost nothing after that.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Maybe so, but the engines were OK with it from the early seventies on.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I run the Ethanol Stabil every tank! Ill run a lead substitute in it just lube the head I guess, give it a try.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

Lead was used to reduce valve wear, back in the days before hardened seats were available. Mostly everything after the early 70's should be fine on Unleaded.
                              It was also used to bump the octane up.

Your GS was equipped with hardened seats, so you don't need it. It's just my personal preference to run it sometimes.

If you're really concerned about preserving your fuel, try Startron, Marine Stabil, or Ethanol treatment. The ethanol is the Real problem today.

Comment

Working...
                              X