Carb tuning near Houston, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb tuning near Houston, TX

Well, I think I've finally "finished" my project. It's running decently, but wants to stumble just a bit off idle, and RPM's climb to about 3000 when it gets truly warm. Also, she "pops" just a tiny bit occasionally when backing off the throttle. I've only put a few miles on it around town since capping off the project with a new seat, so it may change it's behavior a bit with some more consistent riding.

I have new O-rings, carbs rebuilt, airbox sealed, new airbox and intake boots, valves adjusted, and a 4-2 Mac exhaust. I was hoping someone in the area could help me balance and tune the carbs. I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee, but after the guy at my local suzuki shop said he'd never seen a bike as old as mine, and I should bring it in when it was finished so he could look at it, there is no way I'm having them do the work.

Lightly modified, will go back to stock without any trouble, and no, I don't think the matte black will make it go faster.

Personally, roger, I think that bike is a little big for you. How are you going to reach the pedals?
    Seriously, a couple of questions:
    Have you checked for air leaks yet?
    Were the carbs synched on the bike using a CarbTune or another type of manometer?
    Are all the jets stock, and did you check the numbers when you had them apart?

Comment

I guess the carbtune is what I need to use. I haven't checked for leaks yet, I guess I figured I eliminated the most likely sources. I did check the jets, they are all stock for the (presumed) '82 model carbs. That presumption is based on choke linkage type and an open choke pick-up tube. In the meantime, I'll check for leaks. I'm no sure if I'll be angry, having replaced so many parts, or relieved if there is a leak of some kind.

Comment

You changed the o-rings behind the engine intake boots?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I noticed that you have leading-axle forks from an "L" model on there. Did you also change the triple trees? If not, it's going to be a bit squirrelly, especially "at speed".

If you did not change the triples, the leading-axle does increase the wheelbase, leading you to believe that it might be more stable, but it also reduces TRAIL.
          That will be like over-boosting the power steering on your car, it will steer easier, but not necessarily in a good way. It could be downright TWITCHY.

If you did change the triples, be careful when turning the forks to full lock at either side to make sure the tubes don't hit the front edge of the tank.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, I did change the intake o-rings.

Steve, I meant to thank you on a prior post- you warned me about the forks, and you were right! Fortunately (?) the triples match the forks. I thought about replacing the triple since I have a set of forks, but the wheel is set up for twin disc brakes, and the forks only allow for attachment of one caliper. I decided I'd rather have the twin brakes up front and a slightly increased turning radius at slow speed to minimize the tank mashing than to source a new triple to replace the forks.

Comment

Roger, check your PM. I might be able to help with a tool (Carbtune).

Comment

I'm in Houston too! Don't know that I could help as I'm in need of a manometer myself. I just finished cleaning and replacing o-rings on my carbs too. maybe you, me, and btbarb could have a little houston GS get together. If you drink, I could bring the beer. If not I can bring some of the kids' apple juice.

Comment

Guys Pm me if you still need your carbs tuned. Might be able to help you with mercury sticks. John

Comment

Thanks for the offers. We'll be in touch. I don't have an available weekend until April, so coordinating schedules may be a small challenge, but I like the idea of a tune and ride- we could all get together.

Btbarb, PM'd you.

Wiz, PM sent.

Comment

I can make the time so let me know. Would be cool to meet some other GS'ers.

Comment

Working...
                      X