ID Mikuni carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Mikuni carbs

Hey all. Got these today and they 'kind of' look like smoothbores but I've never seen Mikuni's quite like these before. Also it looks like they have an accelerator on them. Can someone ID these and explain, thanks in advance.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

26 views and not one idea yet? just bumping this up in hopes of someone knowing.
    Rob
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Can you post some pics from the right and left side. Did you measure the inside diameter of the side that goes to the head ? I think they are smooth-bores, From what i can see from the pics they have the big cap on the float bowl for jet changing on the bike, like the 29 and 33 mm those bowl's also came on the Kawasaki KZ1 900's the top of the carbs resemble the 28mm Kawasaki carbs two screw caps !

ant
      Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

If you plan on using those carbs Rob, I highly recommend taking them to get vapor blasted in Chilliwack. They would come out of there in brand new condition! http://www.vaporblastcanada.com/

Here is an example of what they do!
        IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

some more pictures as asked for. I measure the intake, 28mm inside diameter, 33mm outside diameter. The do look 'like' smoothbores but I've never seen a set up for the slides like this, at least no on my Suzuki carbs/smoothbores, As well the float bowl has an overflow nipple beside the drain plug, unlike my Suzuki smoothbores which just have the drain plug.

Ya, I hear you about the vapor blasting Glenn, but I'm sure it's not cheap and you know me
          Rob

Comment

Rob

33 smoothbores with the pump kit

The 33s have the flatter top cap, the tiny set screws on the choke lifters, dual fuel ports and no fuel screw

I have a set I'm working on now

Parts are available from www.jetsrus.com
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

your right the usual slide rod is missing and the carb spacing looks to be a little wider in the middle. I am trying to get a hold of my dad to get his buddy lee's number and email at Mikuni he may be some help ! I will PM it to ya

ant

Comment

Thanks Todd. So you think these are Kawasaki Carbs also? and just so I'm clear when measuring to determine what size carbs you have it's the outside measurement on the intake, not the inside diameter? Now, any clue or web links to how this accelerator works and is tuned??? I'm shocked she had 33mm smoothbores on a 750 but then again, the 750 has an 850 head, Yoshi pistons, cams and exhaust...
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  Thanks Todd. So you think these are Kawasaki Carbs also? and just so I'm clear when measuring to determine what size carbs you have it's the outside measurement on the intake, not the inside diameter? Now, any clue or web links to how this accelerator works and is tuned??? I'm shocked she had 33mm smoothbores on a 750 but then again, the 750 has an 850 head, Yoshi pistons, cams and exhaust...
                  I think its the inside measurement not the outside your are 28mm I also did not see the push pull throttle linkage. Here is a pic of my 33's
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

The slide covers on the 33mm mikuni looks like the Star ship enterprise your look like 28's do you have a pic of the bike together ?
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Inside the the mouth of a 33

Comment

the pics I have of the bike are from 1978 and you can see the carbs in a couple of them but they don't look to be the same carbs, at least the tops are different. I emailed the lady who owned the bike and she will probably have some good detail, if these are the original carbs from when she had it, and they're sure looking like it as she installed the accelerator pump on the smoothbores she had on the bike. Here's the link to the thread on the bike if you haven't already seen it.

Rob

Comment

"Smoothbores"

Given that the catalog I scanned for you was probably a few years newer than when I got the smoothbores, it could be likely a Kawasaki set, as the Yoshimura dealership in Chilliwack did the bike. Can't recall whether I bought them and put them on myself or? I dealt with the old Frederick Motors down on Princess St. at the time (Steve Drane was one of the mechanics there), and FM had Kawasaki and Suzuki, so it may have even come thru them. Yes, I remember putting the accelerator pump on them.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in on it Nancy, I can't imagine someone swapped out your Suzuki smoothbores put in a set of Kawasaki's and putting the accelerator pump on the Kawi's as well, seems like too much work. Weird thing though, there's one picture where I can see your carbs on the bike and they're not the same as these ones.

You can see the caps on these ones are different, the look Suzuki. Is there a chance you put the carbs in question on after this photo was taken? I just realized to that not only are the caps different, they are backwards. On suzuki's the narrow part points towards the block, like in the picture, but on the these carbs they point to the air box, very interesting.
                            Last edited by azr; 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM.
                            Rob

Comment

The carbs on the bike in the pic appear to be 26mm stock carbs and the 28mm in your original pic kawasaki or not are a major upgrade !

Comment

Working...
                              X