Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb fuel problem

Hi all,
    Am having a problem! Bought my gs 550 as a non runner, carbs seemed clean inside, sorted the wiring and now will start and run for a short time with a squirt of easy start then it dies. I have new plugs, and fresh fuel entering the clean float bowls. should my next step be a proper full carb stip?
    Thanks for your advice in advance.
    Chris.

Honestly, your first step should have been a proper carb cleaning. Fuel is probably only going to last a few months before it starts to go bad. Since it was a non runner when you got it there may be dried fuel (like varnish) inside all the tiny passages and jet holes throughout your carbs. They must be thoroughly cleaned. Since it runs for a moment on easy start you can assume that the carbs are not getting anything like a proper fuel/air mixture to the engine. It's just running on easy start.

Comment

Thanks, a full strip will start tomorrow!

Comment

Remember you don't want to buy any kits. Pick up some berrymans, orings from www.cycleorings.com, and maybe some new bowl gaskets. Follow nessism's procedures and you'll do fine
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Steve. Little harder for me now to go find links and post them from my phone
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Follow nessism's procedures and you'll do fine
            Here, let me fix that for you:

Follow Nessism's procedures and you'll do fine.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And step two is valve adjustment.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Ideal, thanks for the links, ill be sure to order new o-rings, then do the valve adjustments.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Any ideas for carb dip in the uk? I cant seem to find anything other than the spray cleaners! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSatan View Post
                    Any ideas for carb dip in the uk? I cant seem to find anything other than the spray cleaners! Thanks.
                    Hopefully, one of our numerous Brit members will step in here.....
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

There's nothing available over here that you could call carb dip. Apparently we would all die from hideous disease if we even so much as owned a can of it........

The alternatives are cellulose thinners, boiling away in a saucepan with a drop of Fairy Liquid added to the water, ultrasonic clean and probably a host of other methods that have been dreamed up. Everyone will have their favourite method and they'll all (probably) work; the key is to do it thoroughly. 100% and nothing less.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So i have fully stripped the carbs ready for dipping! (nessims tutorial is spot on!) number 3 was pretty gunked up! but on number 1 i found there was no pilot jet plug (present on the other 3) is this meant to be? if not i shall have one ordered!
                        New o-rings on the way and valve check on the to do list this weekend!

Thanks for your replies so far,

As we don't seem to have specific carb dip here in the u.k i will post up before and after pics of the carbs using a pan boiling them in a lemon juice and water.
                        Should try and find an old pot as the missus wasn't overly happy with me stripping the carbs on the dining room table yesterday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSatan View Post
                          So i have fully stripped the carbs ready for dipping! (nessims tutorial is spot on!) number 3 was pretty gunked up! but on number 1 i found there was no pilot jet plug (present on the other 3) is this meant to be? if not i shall have one ordered!
                          Unnecessary, in fact you'll probably want to remove the others to tune up down the road. The plugs were required by law to discourage tuning.
                          -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Unless he's talking about the rubber plugs inside the float bowls? They're needed.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It's this rubber plug that was missing!

Comment

Working...
                              X