Fuel tank fitment for GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank fitment for GS1100GL

Hello all, I am officially tired of the minuscule range on my 82 1100GL. Are there any other tanks that will fit this bike? Perhaps a regular 'G' tank? If not, does anyone have any creative solutions to adding more fuel to my ride?

lordcannon88 said...."does anyone have any creative solutions to adding more fuel to my ride? "
    Sure, but they all involve risk!
    My bike has same problem; I get maybe 120 mile safe range and have to be forward thinking regarding next gas station. Changing to another tank might cause seat problems, so you might need another seat.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It is possible to put the bigger G tank on there but the mounting ears will need to be cut off and welded into a nee position. There is also seat fitment to think about. Might not look quite right where the tank and seat meet.

Another option would be a tour tank from tourtank.com.

I think a member here did mount a bigger G tank to a different bike. I think his ID is dantheman.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        lordcannon88 said...."does anyone have any creative solutions to adding more fuel to my ride? "
        Sure, but they all involve risk!
        My bike has same problem; I get maybe 120 mile safe range and have to be forward thinking regarding next gas station. Changing to another tank might cause seat problems, so you might need another seat.

I'm not risk averse at all! Hmm, so the G tanks are longer, or is the issue simply cosmetic?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
          It is possible to put the bigger G tank on there but the mounting ears will need to be cut off and welded into a nee position. There is also seat fitment to think about. Might not look quite right where the tank and seat meet.

Another option would be a tour tank from tourtank.com.

I think a member here did mount a bigger G tank to a different bike. I think his ID is dantheman.
          Interesting! Thanks for the info. I will look him up. I'm familiar with tour tank, but I'm concerned with putting anymore weight on the back end of the bike. The rear is a bit heavy as is, due to the bags and luggage rack and whatnot. I would ideally like to figure out a way to put fuel in my fairing, LOL! I will buy the person who figures that one out a beer!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it's been done. You'll probably have to relocate the tank mounts on the frame and also modify the seat. You'll need cutting, welding, and other fabrication skills and equipment. Dan is the one guy I know of right off hand who has pretty much "un-L'ed" his GS850GL. Unfortunately there is no "how-to" guide.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

Yes, it's been done. You'll probably have to relocate the tank mounts on the frame and also modify the seat. You'll need cutting, welding, and other fabrication skills and equipment. Dan is the one guy I know of right off hand who has pretty much "un-L'ed" his GS850GL. Unfortunately there is no "how-to" guide.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Interesting...I PMed him. Well, since everything is finally fixed on it, I guess I need to tinker with something! Lol. My seat is actually a goldwing seat anyhow, so that would add another layer of complication... Grrr. Electrical mods are easier...

Comment

lordcannon88 said...
                "I would ideally like to figure out a way to put fuel in my fairing,"

Wow, in the fairing, I often have crazy ideas like this- it's good to know that I'm not alone! How about a tank bag bladder thing like this
                Explore the great outdoors with confidence, equipped with gear from Campmor - Your one-stop shop for all things camping and hiking. Find everything you need, from tents to backpacks, at unbeatable prices. Get ready for your next adventure with Campmor!

I got one, but I haven't dared use it for gas- 5 gallons, rolls up for storage ( so you can conceal it easily )and very light.

PS; I'm not serious!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  lordcannon88 said...
                  "I would ideally like to figure out a way to put fuel in my fairing,"

Wow, in the fairing, I often have crazy ideas like this- it's good to know that I'm not alone! How about a tank bag bladder thing like this
                  Explore the great outdoors with confidence, equipped with gear from Campmor - Your one-stop shop for all things camping and hiking. Find everything you need, from tents to backpacks, at unbeatable prices. Get ready for your next adventure with Campmor!

I got one, but I haven't dared use it for gas- 5 gallons, rolls up for storage ( so you can conceal it easily )and very light.

PS; I'm not serious!
                  Yes! I mean it's a lot of minimally used, voluminous space. Exactly! Something like that is exactly what I was wanting...too bad that's not fuel certified...

Comment

Working...
                  X