2 out of four carbs leaking through k&n pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 out of four carbs leaking through k&n pods

ok fellas just got my gs running and it idles smooth and runs good my only problem is the two right side carbs are leaking fuel through the pods to the point where its dripping through is it possible that the carbs are out f sync on that side or could it b the air fuel mixture i appreciate the help thanks

check all the float heights are set correctly and the float valves are sealing shut
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ok ill check the floats thanks im gonna tear into the carbs this weekend

Comment

Change the o-rings and do a proper cleaning.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

First of all, it's hard to read, can't tell if you are making a statement or asking a question, as there is NO punctuation and many words are incomplete.
          Sorry if you are used to writing like that, it's just very hard to read.

Anyway, this is what I get out of your statement/question:
          Originally posted by Tunr4life View Post
          ok fellas just got my gs running and it idles smooth and runs good my only problem is the two right side carbs are leaking fuel through the pods to the point where its dripping through is it possible that the carbs are out f sync on that side or could it b the air fuel mixture i appreciate the help thanks
          Both of those situations require the engine to be running. It will run, but possibly run poorly.

If you have gas running freely through the carbs, you have a faulty petcock or fault inlet valves in the carbs. Likely, it's both, as a faulty petcock should be restrained by properly-working inlet valves, and faulty inlet valves will have no problem if the petcock is working properly.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I found these on some guy's website.

Overflowing Carbs

Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial
            (Mr. Nessism)

CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide
            (Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)
            (Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry about the way I'm writing the questions. I'm writing the question through my phone because I am at my place of employment while I'm writing so I have to rush. I am going to clean and disassemble the carbs this afternoon to see what's going on with them thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunr4life View Post
                Sorry about the way I'm writing the questions. I'm writing the question through my phone because I am at my place of employment while I'm writing so I have to rush.
                Thank you for the well-written reply. It is nice to see that you do, indeed, have decent communication skills.

That is yet another argument I have against using "phones" to type messages. Everybody uses shortcuts that make it harder to read.

My personal philosophy is that if you don't have the time to ask properly, I don't have the time to answer.

Have not put anyone on my "ignore" list because of that, but there ARE a LOT of questions that I have not answered.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get the Oring kit from Cycleorings.com ( Robertbarr here on the forum) and do as was suggested and redo them 100% and be sure the float hts are set correctly.

You can make a rack to attatch them to so you can check them off the bike to be sure its all good first. Take a piece of 2X6 and nail 2 pieces of 2X4 to them spaced far enough apart for the carbs to fit in between them. Now all you need to do is fasten the assembled rack to your bench stand and feed them the fuel. Check them and if all is good ..put them back on the bike. Zip tie them to the uprights or whatever.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Actually it's very easy to write properly on a phone, I'm doing it now since my laptop was stolen. You just have to try.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Resurrecting these old beasts always starts with PROPERLY cleaned carbs. Then adjust the float height and bench sync them. Set the pilot scew on each carb to three turns out and adjust from there. That should get you running well enough to vacuum sync the carbs after you have adjusted the valves. You'll find pretty good custom "post-manual" documentation on my website in the form of PDF "how to" guides which you can download to your computer. (It's difficult to view these on your phone.) I sent you a "mega-welcome" package in one of your earlier threads which contains maintenance lists of all the necessary tasks that must be perormed in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will lead to frustration at best, injury and mayhem at worst.

If you can't find your "mega-welcome" just hit the READ ME page on my little website. You'll be glad you did.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

(This message sent from my Motorola Droid phone.)

Comment

Working...
                      X