HD Video Tutorial on Cleaning Mikuni CV Carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD Video Tutorial on Cleaning Mikuni CV Carburetors

I put a 30 minutes video together on disassembly, cleaning and assembly of Mikuni CV Carburetors which you can find here:

Links below. Step by step instruction on how to disassemble, clean and assemble Mikuni CV Carburetors for Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha motorcycles... I hope you fin...

Hope it helps out those who are scared of opening up their carbs and those who haven't done in it in a long time.

Cheers,

Chris

wow great! very helpful for those that forgot

Comment

Is this enough..?

I watched the video..I have never taken a carb apart before ..but I will be doing it soon enough on my new-to-me GS5650L. The bike has been "stored" for years and years and I am guessing the carbs are a gummed up mess...

Without removing the floats (as in the video) is this enough to do to clean the carbs completely..? I think (believe) there is another jet of sorts under the floats (correct me if I am wrong) that also needs to be removed and cleaned..??

I am confident I can do this much -- and I like not having to split the carbs -- but is it enough to get the bike running...or will I be able to tell once I get into the carbs... ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Without removing the floats (as in the video) is this enough to do to clean the carbs completely..? \

No.. I would ALWAYS tear it completely down!

Comment

Hi,

For a running bike, the procedure that Chris documented works well. Nice job Chris!

For a bike that has been sitting any length of time, gas has evaporated in the carbs and left behind a laquer-like substance clogging the small internal fuel passages in the carbs and jets.

You must completely disassemble the carbs in order to soak the individual carb bodies to remove the gummy blockages in the carb internals. Plus, it's easier to remove the floats if the carbs are taken out of the rack. You can also replace all of the old rubber O-rings with a fresh set from http://cycleorings.com.

You'll find copies of the complete dis-assembly and cleaning instructions on my little website. I have also posted a link to Chris' video on the "Carb Specs/Cleaning" page. Chris' video should take away all of the mystery and bring confidence to those who have never taken apart their carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Cliff for adding the link to your site. I hope it helps out those who like to have a visual reference as well.

As for removing floats, by all means, if you have the tools, there is no reason not to take them off. Specially do so on long sitting carbs. I didn't remove them because I know these carbs like the back of my hand and the bike is always running. If I was doing it for someone else, I would most certainly take them off.

One thing I forgot to mention is to grease your choke linkage after putting everything back together. It will help the sticky choke big time.

I'll soon do a complete video on adjusting valves as well and will post it up.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Awesome information - Thanks

OKAY
              My mission is clear now...
              Complete tear down...new orings.. and super duper cleaning...!

Thanks for the video. I have a lot more confidence in doing this project now than I did before I watched it...You make it look easy...but I know it is harder than that...the experts make it look easy...

But it is a really good tutorial for people like me who like visual aids and have no experience with carbs...

I am looking forward to your next tutorial on valves

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

I am looking forward to your next tutorial on valves
                In the meantime, have a look at this PDF file:

Valve Adjustments (8 Valve)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X