GS700 hard starts. sluggish 1/8 throttles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700 hard starts. sluggish 1/8 throttles

Hey guys. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my bike as of now.
    I have K&N pods and a supertrapp exhaust.
    Things I've done:
    strip and soak/clean the carbs
    dynojet stage 3
    new o-rings
    "highest-idle" fuel mix screws method
    I've also done the valves adjustment maybe 5 months ago. I am not sure if it was done right or not

What is troubling me is the difficult starts I have. It takes starting fluid to work. Without it, I would just drain the battery.

Also, I notice that while in gear and taking off, I would have a stumble at about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. This is only in first gear. Once it passes, it rides fine (to me) in other gears

And if it matters, I have a broken stud in one of the exhaust ports so it does leak a bit out of the port. Would this add to my issue?

Any ideas on what I should do? I believe it is running lean? Is that correct?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2013, 01:12 AM.

The hard starts means your "choke" circuits are clogged. You are going to have to strip them down again.
    The sluggish 1/8 throttle means your "fast idle" tuning was not done correctly.
    It happens. I could not get the fast idle method to work on my bike so I wrote the procedure in my signature. Works for me.

Comment

Hard starts are also a classic symptom of mis-adjusted valves, especially the intakes.

Since you said you are not sure you did the adjustment correctly, I would do that while the carbs are soaking in "the dip" to clean the "choke" circuits.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also double check you don't have a couple plugged pilot jets while you have the carbs apart again.

Comment

Hard starts also can be as a result of low voltage at the coils producing weak spark. On every one of the last 4 GSs I've owned the voltage at the coil, when the battery was fully charged at 12.5+ volts was 11.75volts or lower. One was at 10.8volts. The coil relay modification (see Cliff's site for the tutorial) is the solution.

Undoubtedly the carbs are still gummy and the valves may too be out of spec so I would recommend you check and redo each of these three things. Of late, I make these checks SOP on any new to me bike.

Good luck with it.
          Spyug

Comment

well I am pretty sure it isnt the low voltage. I already did the coil relay mod. battery is new and i do get good voltage to the coils.

I will try checking out the valves first, then i will look into tearing into the carbs again.
            thanks guys

Comment

I am over by Disneyland & will help you. Call me at 714--356-7845. Ray.

Comment

i finally had time to perform some work. I readjusted the valves a bit since they were a bit tight. i pulled the plugs to check them out and they are all black! too rich right?
                heres a picture. cylinder 1-4 left to right

and ray, i will contact you when i've run out of hope
                Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

looks like a lot of choke use.
                  the 2 center plugs are near acceptable but the outside plugs are fuel fouled.
                  another thing is once plugs are fuel fouled they will never recover 100%.
                  try a new set of plugs and see where your at once you have done what has been recommended in the other's post.

if the plugs are in order...maybe a coil/plug cap or ignitor problem.
                  1&4 looks bad in pic.
                  Last edited by blowerbike; 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Things i've done yesterday.
                    replaced the spark plugs
                    adjusted the valves
                    reset the "air screws" back to 2.5 turns out

when i try to start it, it tries much better than before, but i do get backfire out of the exhaust. when it does start, adding throttle kills it. this tells me it is too lean?

Comment

oops looks like i connected the coils into the wrong cylinders.
                      fired it up and no problems. just need to test ride now

Comment

Anyone know if the bs32 air mix screws are interchangeable with the bs34? I asked z1 but they don't know and told me just to look at the pictures. I want to replace my mix screws because they are missing washers/oring anyway

Comment

Hello all again. I am back after all these years and my bike still has problems starting. Since last time, I've parked it for many years without use because of the issues and now I am back at it again.
                          Same mods as before but I've fixed the exhaust manifold leak and readjusted the valves again. I used new spark plugs and I have already done the coil relay mod.
                          I do have a question about how the coils should be connected to the plugs. Currently, left coil is plugged into #1 and #3 and the right coil is on #2 and #4. Is this right?
                          If and when the bike starts, it's usually after many many many minutes of cranking and setting full choke. The bike idles poorly and backfires out of the exhaust and sometimes pods. What could be causing my issues? With the pods installed, the bike does seem to try to start better. The pods are old and tired, so could that be a problem?
                          So to clarify, I have
                          -super trapp exhaust
                          -k&n pods
                          -dynojet stage 3 with 134 mains
                          -coil relay mod
                          -new battery
                          -idle mix screws set at 3 turns out
                          -freshly adjusted valves
                          -new oil
                          -new plugs
                          -new o-rings and intake boot rings from the last time around

PS. where can I get new idle mix screws with spring, orings?
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2016, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t341th View Post
                            Hello all again. I am back after all these years and my bike still has problems starting. Since last time, I've parked it for many years without use because of the issues and now I am back at it again.
                            Same mods as before but I've fixed the exhaust manifold leak and readjusted the valves again. I used new spark plugs and I have already done the coil relay mod.
                            I do have a question about how the coils should be connected to the plugs. Currently, left coil is plugged into #1 and #3 and the right coil is on #2 and #4. Is this right?
                            If and when the bike starts, it's usually after many many many minutes of cranking and setting full choke. The bike idles poorly and backfires out of the exhaust and sometimes pods. What could be causing my issues? With the pods installed, the bike does seem to try to start better. The pods are old and tired, so could that be a problem?
                            So to clarify, I have
                            -super trapp exhaust
                            -k&n pods
                            -dynojet stage 3 with 134 mains
                            -coil relay mod
                            -new battery
                            -idle mix screws set at 3 turns out
                            -freshly adjusted valves
                            -new oil
                            -new plugs
                            -new o-rings and intake boot rings from the last time around

PS. where can I get new idle mix screws with spring, orings?
                            No, left coil should be connected to 1 and 4, with right coil on 2 and 3. The plug caps on leads for 2 and 3 are longer than the caps on leads for 1 and 4.
                            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

When was the last time you cleaned the carburetors per Nessism's guide and adjusted the valves (you say you did them again but when)? What are your readings for each cylinder both in clearance and current shim size?

What's the current jet sizes if you are using the pods? Is there a reason you can't go back to the stock air box?
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X