Rebuild or Replace Fuel Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
    I was referring to the bike she's riding and her bike does have a fuel gauge. we're not talking about two strokes. My point was that motorcycles with fuel gauge don't need reserve function as it doesn't serve any purpose other than wearing down the petcock.
    I've actually never used the petcock beyond priming the carbs if it's sat for awhile. Since I have the tank off right now for derusting, I'm going to need to prime the carbs when it goes back on.

Comment

I was referring to the bike she's riding and her bike does have a fuel gauge. we're not talking about two strokes. My point was that motorcycles with fuel gauge don't need reserve function as it doesn't serve any purpose other than wearing down the petcock.
      Well, giving that little piece a quarter-turn every month or so (depending on how often you let the tank get low) is certainly not going to "wear it down".

Relying on the accuracy of a motorcycle fuel gauge takes a lot of faith, too. I would be inclined to believe it if I had calibrated it (and most riders don't), but there is still the possiblity that a wire came out of a poorly crimped connector or some other remote possibility that would prevent proper operation of a fuel gauge. There is also the situation where you are just enjoying the road so much that you have not noticed the status of your fuel supply for a while.

There is quite a difference in your frame of mind when your options are "oops, I had better turn the petcock to REServe and find a gas station" or
      " now I have to walk to a station and hope that they have a can I can use."

Personally, I will chance "wearing down" the petcock.

Now, let me hit the ball squarely back into the other court:
      What about all those guys that hate the vacuum petcock and insist on a manual one, like a Pingle?

They will be "wearing down the petcock" several times a day, as they will be turning it ON and OFF every time they stop for gas or a meal.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Well, giving that little piece a quarter-turn every month or so (depending on how often you let the tank get low) is certainly not going to "wear it down".

Relying on the accuracy of a motorcycle fuel gauge takes a lot of faith, too. I would be inclined to believe it if I had calibrated it (and most riders don't), but there is still the possiblity that a wire came out of a poorly crimped connector or some other remote possibility that would prevent proper operation of a fuel gauge. There is also the situation where you are just enjoying the road so much that you have not noticed the status of your fuel supply for a while.

There is quite a difference in your frame of mind when your options are "oops, I had better turn the petcock to REServe and find a gas station" or
        " now I have to walk to a station and hope that they have a can I can use."

Personally, I will chance "wearing down" the petcock.

Now, let me hit the ball squarely back into the other court:
        What about all those guys that hate the vacuum petcock and insist on a manual one, like a Pingle?

They will be "wearing down the petcock" several times a day, as they will be turning it ON and OFF every time they stop for gas or a meal.

Forgetting to check the gas gauge is not an excuse that sits well with me. Those who forget to glance at their gas gauge shouldn't probably ride a bike, as they probably won't look at their oil light, turn signal lights, speedometer and tachometer either.

Neither is the calibration of the float. If your gauge is not working, don't change the petcock, fix the gauge. And maybe i'm just in another frame of mind, but i always fill-up the tank when it gets down to red, even though I know that there is at least another 1.5 gallon left. When I'm on the road, I fill up at every gas station anyway because I never know whether the next station is too far, closed, or out of gas.

Don't even get me started on Pingle crowd , that's a can of worm that should never be opened.

Comment

I no more trusted the fuel gauge on my GS than the rabid dog that runs down the street. Totally undependable. I called it the fuel estimator. It was never calibrated, as Steve pointed out.
          I owned a 67 Mustang once that ran out of fuel on the highway even though the fuel gauge showed half a tank.
          My 97 TranAm fuel gauge is similarly tricky. Stays near full for about 8 gallons of its 16 gallon capacity, then drops precipitously down to empty in almost no time.
          A reserve is there for a reason; a safety measure. Why bypass it?

Comment

We are talking motorcycles. Period. I have owned 17 motorcycles, only 3 had fuel gauges. And only 5 of them were two strokes. I don't trust them, and it is silly to do so.
            Not ridiculing you, just getting a morning chuckle.

Comment

surely its a no brainer, fuel gauge on not?????
              you run with tap on until it splutters and you have to switch to reserve.
              then you KNOW you have to go fill up as soon as possible,no guess work involved!

most modern cars DO have a reserve. when the dial hits the red at the bottom, if it gets to low a qarning light comes on (or flashes). THAT is your reserve......get to a gas station QUICK!
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                ... most modern cars DO have a reserve. when the dial hits the red at the bottom, if it gets to low a qarning light comes on (or flashes). THAT is your reserve......get to a gas station QUICK!
                True, but it also makes sense to see how BIG that "reserve" is.

My van has a trip computer that tells me "Miles to Empty" which usually shows a ridiculous number. As the gauge approaches the red zone, the light comes on. I have seen it come on as I pulled into the station, and found that I have a three-gallon "reserve" on a 21-gallon tank. Well, I think it's a 21-gallon tank, because I have put in 20.76 gallons an had no problems. In fact, there have been four times I have put in over 20.5, so I don't really know how big that tank is, or how big the "reserve" is.

One of these days, I will have to go for a drive with a gas can and figure it out.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use a combination of the gas gauge and the trip meter. I know how many miles I can go on the trip meter so even if my gas gauge shows I have "plenty", I still stop and fill up at the next station.

Comment

That is the correct way to do it. The fuel estimator just gives you an indication; the odometer tells you the truth.

Comment

I rarely let my bike get down to a 1/4 of a tank...out in my area, when riding in the boonies, gas stations can be a good distance.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X