Vinegar in the gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
    Cool - I never knew you could even buy WD40 in anything but a spray can.
    Hubby buys it in the gallon cans. I think he gets it at Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by Call Me Ahab View Post
      Did you put any gravel inside or just fill it with vinegar? Curious, as I'm probably going to go this route as it seems safer than the electrolysis method. Things have a way of going wrong around me.
      I just filled it with vinegar and then every few hours agitated it. Not only did it get rid of the rust, agitating the tank gave me a great upper body workout .

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        Cool - I never knew you could even buy WD40 in anything but a spray can.
        Originally posted by Tamara View Post
        Hubby buys it in the gallon cans. I think he gets it at Home Depot.
        Yep, click HERE.

Also available in a 5 or 55 gallon drum at Lowe's and NAPA.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
          I just filled it with vinegar and then every few hours agitated it. Not only did it get rid of the rust, agitating the tank gave me a great upper body workout .
          Wait until you coat the inside in epoxy... You are going to coat the inside aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
            Wait until you coat the inside in epoxy... You are going to coat the inside aren't you?
            I'm on the fence about coating it. I've been reading too many negative articles about the effectiveness of coating.

Comment

If the rust is pretty well gone, and the tank does not flash rust before you fill it with gasoline, you don't really need to coat it but you could put an inline gas filter in place for a few month (or forever for that matter) just to be sure nothing makes it into the carbs. Job well done it sounds like.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                If the rust is pretty well gone, and the tank does not flash rust before you fill it with gasoline, you don't really need to coat it but you could put an inline gas filter in place for a few month (or forever for that matter) just to be sure nothing makes it into the carbs. Job well done it sounds like.
                Knock on wood, no flash rust so far when I checked it this morning. If all goes according to plan, my friend is going to help me pull the carbs, clean them and then we'll put the tank on and fill 'er up and see what happens.

I've already got the inline filter in place . Since the tank and seat are off, I've been going through the wiring and replaced a few corroded connectors.

Comment

Working...
                X