gs1000g carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000g carbs

Hi all. The needle valve seats on my carbs do not have the mesh gas filters. Are these aftermarket parts from the po or factory issue ? Also do you use anything to protect the air(fuel) jets from the elements or just leave them exposed ?
    As always my hearty appreciation to all the contributors to this site.

Nick

Originally posted by luvnwunderwoman View Post
    Hi all. The needle valve seats on my carbs do not have the mesh gas filters. Are these aftermarket parts from the po or factory issue ?
    They might have just been left off after a rebuild. Those mesh filters just snap on. So their presence or absence really doesn't indicate whether or not the seats are OEM. Is there a ridge on that side of the seats where the filters COULD snap on? Those filters are not particularly important IMHO.

Also do you use anything to protect the air(fuel) jets from the elements or just leave them exposed ?
    Do you mean the idle mixture screws? The ones that (if not removed before) need the caps drilled out? I left mine exposed. If you can find a well-fitting rubber plug or the like that might not be a bad idea just to keep grit from getting into the threads.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes there is a lip that a screen could pop over. Rubber plug idea sounds good if I could find the right size. If not maybe use a little grease to keep moisture and grime out. What do think ?

Comment

Hi all. The needle valve seats on my carbs do not have the mesh gas filters. Are these aftermarket parts from the po or factory issue ?
        Personally, I won't run a set of carbs without them. I have purchased aftermarket needle valves and snapped my OEM filters on them with no problem.
        I have seen replacement filters somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Also do you use anything to protect the air(fuel) jets from the elements or just leave them exposed ?
        "Air (fuel) jets"??? Which one are you talking about?

I am going to guess that you might be talking about the pilot air jet in the intake throat. If so, they already have a filter in front of them, it's the air filter inside your airbox. If you have installed pods, you still have a filter in front of them. If you are running velocity stacks, you apparently have other priorities.

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Those mesh filters just snap on. ... Those filters are not particularly important IMHO.
        I will politely disagree with you, I think they are rather important.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The jets you adjust for idle mixture right under the choke rod. They are open to the elements on my bike.

Comment

The jets you adjust for idle mixture right under the choke rod. They are open to the elements on my bike.
            OK, those are the "idle mixture adjustment screws".
            And they are "open to the elements" on all of my bikes, too.

When the carbs left the factory, there was a plug over them because the mixture was preset to some EPA standard for supposedly-reduced emissions.
            There are plugs available, but you will have to drill them out again if you ever feel the need to tweak your mixture.

One creative solution was to put the rubber plugs from the pilot fuel jet (in the float bowl) into the holes. Covers the hole, easily removed.
            You can get those rubber plugs, about $10 for a set of four.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I am sorry, it is the air screw not jet. Noobie here.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have seen replacement filters somewhere, but I don't remember where.
                They're still available OEM, or at least for my carbs they are. Did they all use the same needle valves and seats?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I will politely disagree with you, I think they are rather important.
                Thank you, sir. I do have all of mine installed, but would not lose sleep if I did not. (My friend's Radian had essentially the same carbs and his replacement seats did not have them or even a place to snap them IIRC, so at some point or another someone at Mikuni or Yamaha decided they were not that important - or perhaps that a few cents of profit was more important ???) Their plastic even survives the Berryman's. If one considers their fuel line is going to start flaking away in chunks it could be helpful. But the mesh on my petcock, what, seven inches of fuel line away, is finer than the mesh on the snap-on filters.

Comment

The rubber plug that goes on the PILOT JET is particularly important. Don't omit those.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I am sorry, it is the air screw not jet. Noobie here.
                    No, it's not an "air" screw, it's "MIXTURE" screw.

Subtle, but important, difference.

It's not just semantics, either. That screw adjusts the amount of a preset mixture that is added to the airflow going to the engine. Turning the screws OUT (counter-clockwise) will richen the overall mixture, turning them IN (clockwise) will lean the overall mixture.

If they were "air" screws, it would be the other way around.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Found the filters at G&S Suzuki. Thanks to everyone for your input. Weather will soon start warming up, I hope to have this bike back together before long.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                      X