Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find new air mixture screws for a 80 GS750 set of carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I find new air mixture screws for a 80 GS750 set of carbs?

Hi there,

As we go to install a stage 3 jet kit on the carbs, we find that unfortunately once we drill out the plugs that are over the mixture screws (I guess the factory never wants anyone to touch them) the screws are totally seized. We tried everything shy of just drilling them out. I went to a couple sites and I am looking at the exploded views of the carbs, but I do not see thatt he mixture screws are called out as a part for individual purchase. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? We'll have to get these screws either turning or replaced, but my guess is replaced because they are one the edge of being messed up.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Thanks,

Pnedac

Get new ones!

Drill old ones out with lefthanded drills -carefully of course to not damage carb body threads; best to do in drill press to get good alignment. Don't even think about screw extractors or EZ outs.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom thank you so much for the advice. I have now ordered the new screws and I will now seek out the left handed drills. Thank you so much. This is the biggest hurdle so far that I have found on this build, but I will keep my fingers crossed that your advice pays off.

Thanks!

Pnedac

Comment

if there is still a chance of removing the old ones, soak them in wd4o or similar penetrant over night then apply gentle heat around them. gently but firmly try and work the screws, in and out,turning slightly more outwards each time until they free up and unscrew right out.
        still worth replacing even if they do come out ok
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
        X