best fuel to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best fuel to run?

Im a 18 year old kid and the GS fever has got me. I just found a 79 gs850g with a windjammer farring and lowers with radio for $ 450. I have two questions. first off, whats the model of carbs that weigh about twice as much as the other ones, that dont have a diaphram sliderdohickey. Also I have heard of people running 100 octane in their bikes, went to autozone and bought 104 does anybody use that fuel? this bike has not been ridden in a year I am in the proccess of completely restoring it about 95% done! Ill upload pics if I can figure how to.

Dont quote me, but i think the manuals basically state 90 octain as a minimum. I have been running regular 87 and dont have any problems.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

GS bikes like yours run on REGULAR fuel. There is no benefit in running anything different.

Your bike has Mikuni VM26 carbs. Cast from zinc.

BTW, you might want to check the Newbie Mistake thread linked in my signature to help avoid future problems.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Go to any NEW OWNER thread and click on Basscliffs MEGA WELCOME and do and follow ALL the things in the maintenance sections.

Do it ALL right the first time and then its just a matter of the periodical adjustments and lots of enjoyable ricing.

I am sure he will be along here to post a welcome package. read it all and then be sure they are all done.

EDIT...I thought it said 80 and posted...Ed is right. The fiche shows VMs. I stand corrected.

Do yours look like these???

Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

See above post...I thought it said 80...once Ed posted I had to go back and reread the original post and amended it appropriately.

Comment

The rubbethingydohicky stuff threw me off = rubber slide thingys means an 80 or older 850.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr.

These old low compression engines run just fine on regular gas. Don't waste your money. See the links below for lots of GS850G lovin'. Please follow the maintenance lists for a happy motorcycle.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Lots of people really like the 1979 because it has a kickstart and points. 1979 does not have CV carbs, it has slide carbs. 1980 and on have CV and electronic ignition, and no kickstart.They are very good machines, and do most things pretty well, and in comfort, as long as it isn't an L.

How about some photos?
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  They are very good machines, and do most things pretty well, and in comfort, as long as it isn't an L.

How about some photos?
                  Agreed, on most points.

My wife's L happens to fit her and makes it MORE comfortable for her.

Since zuki4life's bike is a '79, it won't be an L.
                  (Unless it's an '80, made in the last few months of '79, but then it would have "diaphragm carbs".

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks guys for answering my questions, Yeah those are my carbs chuck hahn. My frame says 78' I'm thinking it was made then to be sold in 79? It has point coil whick I want to upgrade,electronic ignition, and kickstart. Also when I removed the back fairing I found registration from 1984 and the tire pressure gauge! I have cleaned the carbs, had the tank painted, little elbow grease, changed fluids, and only have 850 bucks into it! 23000 miles. Im having alittle trouble figuring out how to upload pics u guys got ant advice

Comment

Miost guy use photobucket or similar and then link pics from there. good way to build albums and post pics of rebuilds and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        GS bikes like yours run on REGULAR fuel. There is no benefit in running anything different.

Your bike has Mikuni VM26 carbs. Cast from zinc.

BTW, you might want to check the Newbie Mistake thread linked in my signature to help avoid future problems.
                        nessim i normally agree, but i have a slight disagrement this round...

if i run 93 in my bike, i notice a small increase in power...not much but i notice it...i also ride everyday...i know when my bike has the slightest change..

now on 87 which im running now, it still runs great, and gets roughly 35-36 mpg...on 93..30-32 mpg....

i also have a 4-1 and jetted carbs...

i ran a smidge of 110 in my bike once....i wont do it again...it missed and backfired etc that tank of gas...

so yes just run 87 ...these bikes seem not to care between 87-93....if we go out to play or race i run 93....other then that i run 87

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                          nessim i normally agree, but i have a slight disagrement this round...

if i run 93 in my bike, i notice a small increase in power...not much but i notice it...i also ride everyday...i know when my bike has the slightest change..

now on 87 which im running now, it still runs great, and gets roughly 35-36 mpg...on 93..30-32 mpg....

i also have a 4-1 and jetted carbs...

i ran a smidge of 110 in my bike once....i wont do it again...it missed and backfired etc that tank of gas...

so yes just run 87 ...these bikes seem not to care between 87-93....if we go out to play or race i run 93....other then that i run 87
                          I don't think it's possible to get more power from 93 unless you advance the timing. As for the mileage, I don't think you should get worse mileage with 93 either. Something doesn't sound right. The only noteworthy difference you should see is less tendency to detonate. The compression ratio is low enough on your bike to not have this problem, except maybe in really hot conditions.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most of these bikes require 87....but some of the 77-78's state to use a minimum of 90 octane(unless the manual printed was using different european gas grades, i don't know)

I do use 93 octane in my 750 though, because the previous owner rebuilt the motor, advanced the cams, and I'd rather not take a chance.
                            100LL runs fine as well, but I won't go there.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by zuki4life View Post
                              Im having alittle trouble figuring out how to upload pics u guys got ant advice
                              Read about it on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X