Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the best pods that would fit a 1979 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Then you would have the "fun" of making sure that the notch and the jet are aligned when you install the pods.

It really amuses me to see all the lengths you guys will go to just so your bike will make a little more noise.
    Yes, pods are noisier than the stock airbox.

Loud filters save lives.........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Then you would have the "fun" of making sure that the notch and the jet are aligned when you install the pods.

It really amuses me to see all the lengths you guys will go to just so your bike will make a little more noise.

Yes, pods are noisier than the stock airbox.

A little tape or paint mark on the outside would make that easy, but you already knew that.

Some of our bikes didn't come with the airbox when we got them. And you already know how hard and expensive getting them off ebay is.

I've had and have worked on both styles and if you need to do anything with the carbs, I can take off and put back on a set of carbs 4 times , before a bike with an airbox can be done once.

I know do it right and you don't have to do it more than once.

We also like the sound of a quadrabog carb with an open aircleaner or the stock lid fliped upside down.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        For those on a tight budget, would it be posible to clear and open pathway with an X-acto knife till they can get the good stuff?
        The holes in the chrome end cap of the Emogo pods is a smaller diameter than the carb throats. You couldn't cut enough of the boot away before it would just come apart.

I did take one of the OEM boots out of the airbox, cut a larger hole in one of the pods and installed it in the pod (I describe that in the thread I linked to), but only the two inner boots are straight, The outer boots are like an elbow so you would need two more boots from another air box.....and now you've gotten to the point that you would be better off just buying the K&N's or using a stock air box.
        1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
        sigpic
        My GS550 Build

Comment

Somebody mentioned the Mikesxs pod filters as not having the narrowed down problem and, if they have them for your size, they are less than $10 each.

Comment

ordered the RC-0884 :-)

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
              First link is to the APE pods, which most people say are the same as K N pods but are only 59$US for a set of 4.

The second link is a KN versus APE pods forum discussion from some other forum.
              I use the ape pods on my 1100 E. My bike came as a non runner with the crappy China pods so I cant say anything about the before and after on how they perform.
              I can say they are nice quality and BIG savings over the K N .
              Forum link. http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...APE-vs-KN-pods
              You will have check the intake diameter of the carbs on your 550 and that of the bikes they list in the APE bike chart.
              Doesnt your 79 550 have the old style carbs? VM's?
              I dont personally know if they make pods for that size carb throat. You will definately need to check the dimensions. on all those .

I was wondering about those APE pods, they have a few different models that it will fit on... none of them are the 550. Do the 750 models use CV-BS32's too?

Do they have the same velocity stack shaped boot too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sexysuzi View Post
                ordered the RC-0884 :-)

Thanks all!
                Don't forget to order new mains and lift your needles.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My other bike is set up for pods, currently stripped for new coils, sus fork seals, electric timing. so sorry for not getting bk to you. I was so determined to fix things myself. If this all goes wrong, I am going to rent a van and you will have two bikes in your workshop!!.

Comment

Working...
                  X