Can u clean carbs without separating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can u clean carbs without separating?

82 GS550...I can easily remove and clean air jet, main jet, pilot jet and needle jet from 4 carbs without separating them. (I had them completely apart last summer. Soaked em, new O rings, all seemed good. Now it needs cleaning again)

If I clean only these brass jets what am I missing?
    What is gained from separating carb bodies?
    Are there pinhole-sized passages in carb body that must be soaked?

Can u re-assemble without moving air screws and preserve your synchronization?
    Or does the needle valve clog like pilot jet and therefore must be removed?

Thanks for any help.

Depends on how clogged up they are. If it's just the pilot jets then I'd do a partial tear down and spritz them out with carb spray.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Full disassembly is the way to go...easier to handle and clean the outer surfaces of the individual bodies, do float hts, and most important..there are orings in the fuel tee and the 2 transfer tubes between the carbs which need to be removed and replaced as well.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You sure can!

You can also take a leak without undoing your pants, but would you really want to?

Comment

Tank...that was funny as all heck...Speaking of having to pee..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Damn I just wrote several paragraphs on this.

it got deleted

anyways
            do the job right and get the o-rings from robert barr of cycle o-rings.com

Its easy to get the carbs seperated. Rather than wailing on the unit with a impact driver you can drill the head of the screws such that they pop off allowing the threaded protion that remains to spin free.

I have done this then used hex headed bolts to put it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Suszukid View Post
              82 GS550...I can easily remove and clean air jet, main jet, pilot jet and needle jet from 4 carbs without separating them. (I had them completely apart last summer. Soaked em, new O rings, all seemed good. Now it needs cleaning again)

If I clean only these brass jets what am I missing?
              What is gained from separating carb bodies?
              Are there pinhole-sized passages in carb body that must be soaked?

Can u re-assemble without moving air screws and preserve your synchronization?
              Or does the needle valve clog like pilot jet and therefore must be removed?

Thanks for any help.
              Clean all the brass
              Spray carb cleaner thru the passages, including air screws

The air screws have nothing to do with the sync

Since you cleaned them fully recently, you shouldn't have to do it again
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think you'll get basically the same posts. Possible, yes. Advised? No.

Take the time to go through the disassemble, you won't regret it!

Comment

Working...
                X