Remove Airbox hoses 1980 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Airbox hoses 1980 GS1000

My airbox hoses are a bit stiff. I wanted to take them off to soak in brake fluid to see if they will soften up. But, how do they come off the box? there's a steel band in there. New ones are 60BUCKs.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

You have to dislodge the steel bands to release the boots from the airbox. The FUN part is when you try to put them back in.

Not sure where you are shopping that you are getting them for $60, but you are getting raped. (depending on whether you have a chain-driven E or a shaft-driven G)
    The E model boots retail for $11.81 each, but are sold for $8.72 at G&S Suzuki.
    The G model boots are a bit more expensive at $17.87 retail, sold for $13.19, but still less than $60.
    Yep, just over half the price you were quoted.

Even at $60, though, the difference is worth it, and you will appreciate it the first time you slide the carbs into those new boots.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Agree with Steve. Spend the money.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hard boots

I have not found a homemade replacement here on the GSsite. The 60 bucks was either Z1enterprizes or bikebandit. I have the chain drive I think its a Emodel at least the engine and frame. Thanks for the help.Mike
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
          I have not found a homemade replacement here on the GSsite. The 60 bucks was either Z1enterprizes or bikebandit. I have the chain drive I think its a Emodel at least the engine and frame. Thanks for the help.Mike
          Just put the order into G&SSuz,44$ and change, subtract 10$ for shipping, Thanks Again.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Airbox hoses and steel bands

I have been playing with a Airhose from the airbox and the steel band. Trying to figure out how to get the steel band back in the rubber hose. The steel bands must have to go in first, then the hose into the airbox. I can't see any way to fight the bands in, after the hoses are back in the Airbox. Lucky I have one to experiment with before the new ones get here. The steel band has a tiny lip on one edge that sinks into the rubber and then it will not move. Any Ideas will be welcome Thanks Mike
            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

How I Did It

GS1000E Air Box hose removal/Installation

Take off the Air box.

Warming the Air Box Hose with a hot air blower will help get the steel rings out.

I worked 2 rings out with a small screw driver and a small Needle Nose Pliers.Must be real careful. You need the screw driver to get the needle nose pliers jaw under the steel ring.

The steel rings bend easy and have a tiny lip on the side facing the carbs.

If you are not going to use the steel rings again just yank them out.

If you want to re-use the rings and not the hose, take a razor knife, slip it between the hose lip and the Air Box. Cut around the rubber lip pull it off and the Steel ring will come out in good shape.

Installation.

I put the Air box hose in hot water for about 3 minutes right out of the kitchen sink.

I was able to put the steel ring in with my fingers most of the way, then I used the tip of the Needle Nose Pliers to push them in about 2 thirds or 1/8 inch from being seated in their spot.

You can't put in the hoses with the steel rings fully seated. The hose needs room so the lips can flex around the edge of the hole in the Air Box.

This left enough room for the Air Box hose to be installed into the Air Box.

Then with the tip of the Needle Nose Pliers, I pushed the steel rings on into their spot.

Finished, Lovely.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
              X