Metal rings in airhoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal rings in airhoses

Is there a way to get the metal bands out of the inside of the airhoses on the GS1000 1980 airbox with out bending them up? Do I have to put them back in? Thank You
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

I have used needlenosed pliers. Look for where the ring is seperated and grab one end.Pull it slightly downward and move it toward the other end. That will decrease the circumference of the ring and allow it to come out. They are spring steel so they are hard to deform or bend out of shape

And yes you do have to put them back in if you want to avoid airleaks. They hold the rubbers tightly in place.

Good luck with it.
    Spyug

Comment

I have read to overlap the ends holding them together with a set of needlenose and install, when you release they'll spring out into place.

I ordered a set for my '82 GS1100E, and with the superceded part number
      they don't any ends, just a continuous ring without breaks.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

My metal rings

The metal rings in mine are one solid band. I got 2 out but I bent them. They almost look glued in but I think its age....... Ok, after rechecking I found I can buy the metal bands also. I did not see that before. I ordered 2 new ones I will just cut the old hoses up to get the other 2 out and not bend them to Crap! How to get them back in, I have no idea..
        Last edited by mike10; 03-25-2013, 06:30 AM. Reason: new information
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Interesting as in I hadn't noticed problems with my boots after breaking my old ones. I will have to pay close attention to them this year
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Interesting as in I hadn't noticed problems with my boots after breaking my old ones. I will have to pay close attention to them this year
            yeah! your right I don't want to cut my boots up. I just changed that to hose. Wait! I don't want to cut my hose either!
            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

When I ordered new boots for my bike, that is what I got as well the ring is not split. No matter what or how I tried, I just could not get the new rings in. So I took my old rings and spread them a part some and reinstalled them. They are in nice and tight.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Gs1000e

The rings in the airhoses on the 1000s are not split. I explained how I got mine in and out on another tread in this area. Hot water soak did the trick.
                Last edited by mike10; 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM. Reason: wrong info
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                X