Gas leaking front of bike near exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaking front of bike near exhaust

I have a real perplexing issue. 81 850. Just rebuilt the carbs for the second time. Dipped them 24 hours. Replaced all the orings. Checked each fuel inlet valve seat and tested the fuel flow on each carb on the workbench before putting it all back together.

Just fired it up via an auxilliary tank...only about 1/4 pint of gas. Then I was checking the exaust temps to make sure they were all firing and I noticed the gas leaking down the front of the engine in between 2 and 3. This happenned the first time also. It does not look or smell like oil

I was gonna try and redo another set of carbs but I wanted to see what you guys thought. This is really strange. Thanks.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Gas?

G A S ?

How about oil.
    Oil from the tach drive unit, I suspect.

Or maybe the cam cover gasket.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

i cant see how it can be gas leaking from the front of the engine?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I know it doesnt make sense to be gas but it starts right after I run it for a few minutes. I wiped it with a rag and it smells like gas. It is clear on the rag with just a slight dirtiness from running down the engine block. Seems to be coming from the exhaust. I dont understand it. It is not oil from the tach or the valve cover.
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

where on the engine does it appear. top, middle (head gasket area), where is the aux. fuel tank hanging from.....is it leaking from there?
          is it just a few drops or is it constant trickle, or gushing out?
          can you show us some pics?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am gonna try and take some pics. It seems to be coming from near the exhaust collars. Not a gushing but more than a few drops. Thanks. This has me baffled.
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Gas in the crankcase?
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Hey Rick.....I just changed the oil and I am getting this gas using an auxiliary tank.
                I had to come in for the night but I am going to try it again and then take better pics. I just got a good spotlight down from the attic. Remember to come on over to the coast sometime. Let me know if you need any parts.
                David
                1998 Suzuki Bandit
                1978 GS1000 - gone
                1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I will Dave. Just haven't made it down there. I was in Titusville a couple of weekends ago to look at that black and blue 750ex that was going for cheap. I used to go down there every weekend on the intercoastal fishing. Could it be forces from the Triangle? lol
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                  X