GS 550 Carburetor Rebuild question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 Carburetor Rebuild question!

I have my GS 550 E ( 1980 ) carbs all apart, cleaned and put back together ( yippYY ) The only thing I need to know, is what should the air screws be set at?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2013, 04:13 AM.

Originally posted by Gateway View Post
    I have my GS 550 E ( 1980 ) carbs all apart, cleaned and put back together ( yippYY ) The only thing I need to know, is what should the air screws be set at?

Thanks!!
    About 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. They will more than likely need to be adjusted from this, but, it's a good starting place.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Just so you know, you do not have "air screws", you have MIXTURE screws.

It is important to know what the screws are adjusting, so you know which way to turn them to achieve your desired results.
      Now that you know that you are controlling a mixture, it will be easy to understand that turning the screws clockwise will lean the overall mixture, turning them anti-clockwise will richen it.

Most of us will start with them anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 turns out from lightly-seated when firing up a fresh set of carbs. After warming up the bike and doing your vacuum sync, turn a mixture screw in slowly, listening for a decrease in engine speed. Turn that screw back out 1/8 turn, move to the next carb, continue until they are all done. Note that if you do this while the vacuum gauges are still connected, you will see the vacuum level change when the engine speed drops, and it will change in all four cylinders, making it easier to see than to hear.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks! I have them all set and will fire it up in the morning!

Comment

Working...
        X