Petcock gave up the ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock gave up the ghost

Two steps forward and one step back. The petcock is free flowing gas which is a pretty straightforward repair/replace situation. I'm probably going to go with replace rather than try and rebuild it.

The second issue is I found gas in the air box. Would this be a side effect of the petcock not shutting off coupled with my test drive yesterday? Or could the float inside the carb be stuck on open?

Thanks!

Check you oil for gas.
    I had a leaking petcock once and the gas in the oil caused the crankcase vent tube to spew out gassy oily film into the airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      Check you oil for gas.
      I had a leaking petcock once and the gas in the oil caused the crankcase vent tube to spew out gassy oily film into the airbox.
      The oil does smell a little gassy but I'm not sure if that's because my whole garage smells gassy. I'm not planning to ride or start it up until after an oil change though later this week.

Comment

Get enough oil to change it twice and an extra filter. Change the oil and filter, replace the petcock, ride for a hundred miles or so and change the oil and filter again....cheap insurance that no gas in the oil.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          Get enough oil to change it twice and an extra filter. Change the oil and filter, replace the petcock, ride for a hundred miles or so and change the oil and filter again....cheap insurance that no gas in the oil.
          Good advice. All I need to do is 10 laps around the block and I have 100 miles .

Comment

Working...
          X