Are Pods worth the effort and cost? GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Pods worth the effort and cost? GS550L

It is time to clean my carbs. After the humbug of removing and replacing my airbox when I did some other work, I and thinking of going to pods / clamp on K&N air filters. I am not really looking for more performance and don't want to add any complications to my bike. But if I want to "upgrade" now is the time. Is it worth the re-jetting and extra cost? Is the bike any more or less reliable with pods?

Not really any more or less reliable.....It can be a pain to get the jetting correct and performance gains will be small.

I like to stick to how the bike was designed,, I therefore, retain the airboxes in my bikes.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Replace all the airbox boots, the o-rings under the intake boots and your job will be much easier. Probably cheaper than K&N pods and jet kit to make it run correctly.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Those who prefer pods say that they enjoy the ease of removing the carbs.

Those of us who have cleaned the carbs properly and have left the stock airbox and exhaust enjoy the ease of not having to remove the carbs.

As LarryD mentioned, it can be a hassle to re-jet and get it proper. How easy it is to re-jet your carbs will depend on what year your bike is. Different years have different carbs.
        Your particular model had three different carbs available over the years.

Keep in mind that pods are a maintenance item, like any other air filter. Most of the cheap pods are paper units, meant to be thrown away and replaced when they get dirty. Paper units also tend to attract water, and wet paper filters don't flow much air, which messes up jetting more than any amount of dirt you can throw on there. It will cost more to get a quality pod that can be cleaned and re-used, but that will be offset by a single purchase price and more-consistent airflow.

Personallly, I prefer a K&N insert in the stock airbox. It's about the same cost as a stock paper filter, but can be cleaned and re-used. Inside the airbox, it won't get wet.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What the other guys have said but also note that most no name or Emgo type pods are all show and no go. They are not restrictive enough nor do they filter. You will end up running too lean and chasing your tail to get the jets right.

If you are going to do it stick with the K&N, APE or Unifilter types. More expensive for sure but you get what you pay for.

In the long run, as mentioned a stock set up does the job best IMHO.

Good luck with it.
          Spyug

Comment

read my signature hahahaha

Comment

Waste of time, efforts, and money in my opinion as well.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Stock is best

Thanks All. I will stick with the stock system. I am running with a little carb cleaner in the tank hoping to avoid a rebuild. I had a great ride into work today. It is a state holiday here in Honolulu. No traffic, 80 mph running smooth, 70 and sunny. How's the weather in the mainland?

Comment

Dude, don't avoid the "rebuild." there are about 5 o-rings per carb. oring kits from cycleorings.com ...tip, use only OEM top and bottom gaskets, the cheaper ones leak bad. learned that from experience. if there are no other problems like having to replace a idle fuel mixture screws with broken tips then your looking at a couple of hours and a couple of beers. even if one of the tips is broken, replace the screw and order a new one from z1. you can still drive it until the screw comes in considering it only affects the idle. seriously easy job that has tremendously noticeable gains once your tuned back up.

Comment

What Chuck said. If you avoid the rebuild, you are only delaying it and in the meantime, you will just be suffering the consequences. If you were even considering the effort of going pods, then the effort of a proper clean and rebuild should be a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by scott808 View Post
                      It is a state holiday here in Honolulu. No traffic, 80 mph running smooth, 70 and sunny. How's the weather in the mainland?
                      nothing personal and no offense but YOU SUCK hahahhahha..[IMG][/IMG]

how bout snow on the ground in spots and 37 degrees and MUD

Comment

got a cool front blow through a couple days ago. lows dropped almost to freezing. highs in the 60s. we should be back to the normal 80's by the end of the week. So many northern GSers, I don't know how yall do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
                          got a cool front blow through a couple days ago. lows dropped almost to freezing. highs in the 60s. we should be back to the normal 80's by the end of the week. So many northern GSers, I don't know how yall do it.
                          we don't

today i lubed the lock cylinder on my gs400 , drank some beer and 'thought about' painting the fender lol

Comment

Working...
                          X