1980 GS550 E Carb replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 E Carb replacement

Beside another set of carbs from a 1980 GS550 E what else has the same bodies? 650, 750? Thanks!

Basscliff has this nice chart - lots of models use the BS32
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Actually, the same bodies were used on 550 through 850, but the throttle shafts are different, to allow for cylinder spacing.

You need to limit your search to 550 and 650, as they have shorter shafts.

You will also need to transfer the jets from your 550 to your new carbs, if they are not from a 550.

What is wrong with your carbs that you think you need new ones?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Actually, the same bodies were used on 550 through 850, but the throttle shafts are different, to allow for cylinder spacing.

You need to limit your search to 550 and 650, as they have shorter shafts.

You will also need to transfer the jets from your 550 to your new carbs, if they are not from a 550.

What is wrong with your carbs that you think you need new ones?

What Steve said. What is wrong with your carbs? I had to use one body off a set on my own 80' 550E and I have three bodies left & we could work something out. I had a broken fuel mixture tip in one. What issues are you having?

Comment

WEll, I took my bodies to work. I work in a plating plant. I dunked them in etch used to prep plastic for plating. The MOST industrial strength stuff on the planet I think.About 1 - 2 seconds then immediately neutralize rinse and ALL the junk goes up in smoke- literally!! I got a call to another part of the plant. I stood up and wouldn't you know I dropped them. Within 1 min... or less they were dissolved. If you stuck your hand in that tank and counted to 10 you would have no hand left so... it was good bye carb bodies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gateway View Post
            WEll, I took my bodies to work. I work in a plating plant. I dunked them in etch used to prep plastic for plating. The MOST industrial strength stuff on the planet I think.About 1 - 2 seconds then immediately neutralize rinse and ALL the junk goes up in smoke- literally!! I got a call to another part of the plant. I stood up and wouldn't you know I dropped them. Within 1 min... or less they were dissolved. If you stuck your hand in that tank and counted to 10 you would have no hand left so... it was good bye carb bodies!!
            Ok, now that is taking full dip to a whole other level! Sorry, had to go there. Wish I could help but sounds like you need a whole set and I don't have a set at this time.

Comment

Working...
            X