v&h gs1100e lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v&h gs1100e lean?

I have an 83 gs1100e. Ive installed a vance and hines exhaust and jetted as per their instructions. Also removed the airbox cover as per their instructions. Seems it ran great for a few hundred miles, but now in the mid range it feels hesitant and i think very lean. Almost feels like it want to quit. If I give is the gas it powers through it. but when you level off it feel lean again. The plugs arent showing it but they are not brand new so they are looking like average to slightly rich. Could this be needle position? thanks

Install a K&N airfilter and put the airbox top back on. Depending on where you jetted it, it might be fine with the new airfilter.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

What you described is also a symptom of being too rich coming off the needles. Granted I have VM carburetors, but with the set I just replaced, I had the same symptoms, raised the needles one notch to lean it out where it had been fowling plugs. It cured the problems with those carbs. I assume CV carbs might act the same way under certain circumstances.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

[/QUOTE]thanks ill try leaner and richer on the needles. I'm running a stock paper element in the air box. I'll change that too.

Comment

You have an adjustable needle or are you using shims?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's been a while but I know I shimmed it before. I have a ts 185 that has the grooves.

Comment

when i do any thing like exhaust change i all ways put in new plugs best way to see whats going on

Comment

i just did that yesterday. ill take a reading. I also replaced 2 bad exhaust gaskets. i rode it about 10 miles in town and didnt notice anything wrong, but ill pull the plugs and see what they say.

Comment

I know you said you followed the directions but what are the needle settings and what Jett's did you use? Are you using a k&n filter or the equivalent?

Comment

I know you said you followed the directions but what are the needle settings and what Jett's did you use? Are you using a k&n filter or the equivalent?

Bike is stock except for 4:1

Comment

problem solved. i checked the plugs, one a little rich, 2 normal, one lean. I performed the high idle method and found the lean carb in need of adjustment. but still no change on the road test. I figured that a float was out of adjustment even though i had checked recently. while removing the carbs i noticed that one boot had a folded over spot. it was sealing at a lower rpm but when increased it would get sucked in. I had messed it up before but thought it was straightened out. I repositioned it and its fine now. i have a spare boot that ill put in its place tomorrow though.

Comment

i have done it before we have to take are time when working on carbs it sucks when you have to pull them out 3 or 4 times to get it right .

Comment

Working...
                        X