No announcement yet.

1980 Petcock ? ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just want to know if its OK to ride till i get a new one...IT RUNS FINE!!! just sucking a little air at petcock like i stated above

Comment

Originally posted by gsvol View Post
      i just want to know if its OK to ride till i get a new one...IT RUNS FINE!!! just sucking a little air at petcock like i stated above
      It should be okay to ride like it is. As a sanity check you might want to verify whether or not the fuel flow stops when the vacuum source is removed. If not, there will be fuel pressure on the float needles all the time (even when parked), and leakage will result in carb overflow and (likely) fuel getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil. Also, I'd verify there is no fuel entering the vacuum line and back-flowing into the carbs that way. A clear vacuum line will tell the tail here.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        It should be okay to ride like it is. As a sanity check you might want to verify whether or not the fuel flow stops when the vacuum source is removed. If not, there will be fuel pressure on the float needles all the time (even when parked), and leakage will result in carb overflow and (likely) fuel getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil. Also, I'd verify there is no fuel entering the vacuum line and back-flowing into the carbs that way. A clear vacuum line will tell the tail here.

should i keep the vacuum leak blocked off or let it leak?

Comment

should i keep the vacuum leak blocked off or let it leak?
          You have a vacuum leak on the #2 cylinder as a result of the bad petcock.
          Seal it and get a new petcock.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            You have a vacuum leak on the #2 cylinder as a result of the bad petcock.
            Seal it and get a new petcock.
            it is sealed with the gum over the petcock, so no leak at the petcock!

Comment

it is sealed with the gum over the petcock, so no leak at the petcock!
              I've heard of the bubble gum and duct tape mechanic but geeze!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Turn it 90 degrees - if you still feel vacuum, you have a non-metered leak. Otherwise it's fine.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

As stated earlier, you've effectively set your petcock to prime with the bubble gum. If the prime check valve is still working, you'll flood your crankcase with gas.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    As stated earlier, you've effectively set your petcock to prime with the bubble gum.
                    if i pull the hoses off the petcock with the gum on it no gas comes out

Comment

If it was after you turned the motor over, then prime doesn't work. It doesn't on mine either.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

i just want to know if i can ride it till new one gets here Tuesday

IT RUNS GREAT!!!!

no gas leaks coming from fuel line or vac line while its sitting

Comment

If you're going to run it. Make sure there is no gas in the oil....
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                          X