Issues while breaking down the GS1100EZ Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues while breaking down the GS1100EZ Carbs

Well, I got started on breaking the carbs down on my new GS1100ez today. After breaking down carb #1, I checked the jet sizes. The main jet in carb #1 was a 112.5, but according to the spread sheet on Basscliff's site AND my Haynes manual it should have a 110 main jet. All of the other jets matched up fine.

So I went ahead and popped the bowls off the other 3 carbs and low and behold they have 110 main jets! What the hell?! Why would someone change only one main jet?!

I was already going to order new pilot jet plugs so I'll go ahead and add this to the list.

The only other snag that I've run into is that the pilot screws are all stuck. I figured these would be the easiest screws to get out after removing the factory plugs... I mangled the first screw pretty badly before deciding to let it soak in PB blaster first. I can't believe they are all 4 stuck, hopefully the blaster does the trick over night. Any other tips on this one?

Originally posted by Crage View Post
    Well, I got started on breaking the carbs down on my new GS1100ez today. After breaking down carb #1, I checked the jet sizes. The main jet in carb #1 was a 112.5, but according to the spread sheet on Basscliff's site AND my Haynes manual it should have a 110 main jet. All of the other jets matched up fine.

So I went ahead and popped the bowls off the other 3 carbs and low and behold they have 110 main jets! What the hell?! Why would someone change only one main jet?!

I was already going to order new pilot jet plugs so I'll go ahead and add this to the list.

The only other snag that I've run into is that the pilot screws are all stuck. I figured these would be the easiest screws to get out after removing the factory plugs... I mangled the first screw pretty badly before deciding to let it soak in PB blaster first. I can't believe they are all 4 stuck, hopefully the blaster does the trick over night. Any other tips on this one?
    These '82 GS1100EZ bikes are cold blooded, run lean and therefore hot, you might be better off with the 112.5 jets but I'll let someone with more experience than me on that talk on it.
    I gave my '82 GS1100EZ carbs to Chef to rebuild, I believe stuck pilot screws are his specialty.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hmm, anyone else have advice or experience on this?

Right now my #1 carb has a 112.5 main jet and the rest have 110. So I either need to buy 1 110 or 3 112.5s. Where is a good place to get these? I'm not finding them on Z1.

Edit: Looks like http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/ will have any jet I need.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

You did not mention any other modifications but if it were me I would double check the jet sizes in the manual to confirm which you are really supposed to have and the bump up a 2.5 size with a freer flowin k&n filter for you air box

Comment

Hmm, anyone else have advice or experience on this?

Right now my #1 carb has a 112.5 main jet and the rest have 110. So I either need to buy 1 110 or 3 112.5s. Where is a good place to get these? I'm not finding them on Z1.

Edit: Looks like http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/ will have any jet I need.
          If you can once you decide on what size to get, go with OEM. The aftermarket stuff can be really crap.
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            You did not mention any other modifications but if it were me I would double check the jet sizes in the manual to confirm which you are really supposed to have and the bump up a 2.5 size with a freer flowin k&n filter for you air box
            I checked it already in the service manual. 110 is the proper size for the '82's.
            page 15-8 in the service manual. 112.5 is the proper size for the '83 page 17-6.
            Click here to download the service manual, your bike is covered for the most part in chapter 15.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              I checked it already in the service manual. 110 is the proper size for the '82's.
              page 15-8 in the service manual. 112.5 is the proper size for the '83 page 17-6.
              Click here to download the service manual, your bike is covered for the most part in chapter 15.
              http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf
              Yeap we looked it up at the same time I guess haha. Service manual, Haynes manual, and the chart on Basscliff's site all say 110 main jets.

There are no mods stock exhaust and airbox w/ paper filter. I want to keep this bike as original as possible. Although I wouldn't mind upgrading to a K&N filter and 112.5 jets if that will make her run better.

Whats everyone think? Stay with 110s or go to 112.5?
              Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

theres a lot of info on here regarding stuck pilot screws. forget about extractors. theyll just break and leave you in a deeper mess. wish I had read up before i ruined my first set. Luckily i found another on ebay. if penetrant doesnt work then Ive heard of cutting a groove all the way down the pilot screw "tunnel" to the screw head, and cutting the groove into that so yiu can get a bite on the screw with a slotted screwdriver. I u r not comfortable with that then there is always Chef.

Comment

Well if all else fails, I have a friend that works in a machine shop. He thinks they can just tap it out (all robotic).

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf
                    The 83 has more lift which would account for the larger mains. I'm too many mods away for the jet size in the manual to be relevant to my bike. I did however download that manual quite some time back as it is hard to find an 1100 manual with 83 info.

Comment

Yeap we looked it up at the same time I guess haha. Service manual, Haynes manual, and the chart on Basscliff's site all say 110 main jets.

There are no mods stock exhaust and airbox w/ paper filter. I want to keep this bike as original as possible. Although I wouldn't mind upgrading to a K&N filter and 112.5 jets if that will make her run better.

Whats everyone think? Stay with 110s or go to 112.5?

I never had one of these on my 1100, but I did have one on my 750. At sea level the 750 ran fine but was a little lean (California bike with most stringent smog). It was bone stock other than the K&N filter. I upped the cam to an 1100 cam lift and it definitely needed to be stepped up.

So the change in air filter helps but don't expect a big change. If you wanted to take the top off of the air box as well you might need to go to 115 but why bother. Start with the 112.5 and it will probably be spot on and if it is not then take off the top.

Comment

Stock the 112.5 will work fine and you don't have to be perfect on the airbox seal.
                        Brand new intake boots, air box boots, stock filter and an exhaust with no leaks you could run the stock 110. But as stated these bikes were jetted on the lean side stock to please the current EPA bs.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The trick to removing the pilot screws is 1) a tight fitting screwdriver, 2) PB Blaster or similar, 3) heat. With a puddle of PB Blaster filling the area above screw, heat the carb body. A propane torch or heat gun works for this application. After it cools enough to touch, try moving the screw in both directions. The trick is to get it to move, even if it's just a little. If you have a properly sized screwdriver you should be able to turn the screw without damaging the slot. You need to watch how much force you use since the screw slot will strip. If the screws still won't move, use more PB Blaster and heat again. Sometimes it takes a few heat cycles before the screw will break free.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            The trick to removing the pilot screws is 1) a tight fitting screwdriver, 2) PB Blaster or similar, 3) heat. With a puddle of PB Blaster filling the area above screw, heat the carb body. A propane torch or heat gun works for this application. After it cools enough to touch, try moving the screw in both directions. The trick is to get it to move, even if it's just a little. If you have a properly sized screwdriver you should be able to turn the screw without damaging the slot. You need to watch how much force you use since the screw slot will strip. If the screws still won't move, use more PB Blaster and heat again. Sometimes it takes a few heat cycles before the screw will break free.
                            Well I've gotten them all broken free with a PB over night soak. I can screw them all the way in, but once backed out to their original location they wont budge out anymore. Its almost like there is a stopper there. I have not tried heat yet. I have both torches and a heat gun on my work truck.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Stock the 112.5 will work fine and you don't have to be perfect on the airbox seal.
                              Brand new intake boots, air box boots, stock filter and an exhaust with no leaks you could run the stock 110. But as stated these bikes were jetted on the lean side stock to please the current EPA bs.
                              The boots are still pretty soft, but not perfect. Everything else is in line I think. I'll order the 112.5s and not worry about sealing the airbox off.

Comment

Working...
                              X