Evaporust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaporust

Questions for anyone who has used Evaporust to clean the inside of a gas tank. Can it be cut so i can make 2.5 gallons into 5 gallons and still be effective. Also do I need to take the fuel gage and the petcock off or can it be done with those still in?

Thanks Jay

Originally posted by JustRide View Post
    Questions for anyone who has used Evaporust to clean the inside of a gas tank. Can it be cut so i can make 2.5 gallons into 5 gallons and still be effective. Also do I need to take the fuel gage and the petcock off or can it be done with those still in?

Thanks Jay
    Yes, it can be cut with water, but it'll take longer. The solution will convert only a certain amount of rust, so when it turns black, it's done.

Evapo-rust shouldn't hurt the petcock and fuel gauge, but I've found that Evapo-Rust residue can sort of get gooey in the petcock and gum up the works. It also tends to discolor copper and brass, so I'd remove the fuel gauge if possible -- the contacts may or may not work afterwards.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

In order to test the efficacy you could simply take an ounce of full strength and one of half strength and try em o a small rusty washer or something like that.

I know you can dilute it but this will likely lead to a marked increase in the time it takes for removal of rust.

Better to plug the tank holes and shake the pure stuff violently and often.

Comment

I used it to clean a very rusty fuel sender & it worked fine afterwards.... I may have pulled the cover & run some paper over the contacts from memory.

If you only buy the gallon or so then be prepared to sit in front of a movie constantly rotating it for a couple of hours, only way I could get the rust off of the "hump" in the tank.....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Does Evaporust use phosphoric acid as the active ingredient?

I used some phosphoric acid from Home Depot and it worked great but the tank was pretty rusty so it left a THICK, really hard black shell on the inside.

Comment

and make sure you fill it with gas or something else shortly after.. it will flash rust pretty quick.

I used a hair dryer in the holes to dry mine out & then hit it with the sealer....

No.. I think POR15 "Marine clean" does though....
            Last edited by salty_monk; 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I don't think Evaporust uses phosphoric acid.

BTW, it will eat the plating off your fuel sending unit parts. I'd remove it before using any kind of rust removing material inside the tank.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

I would not cut Evaporust with water. Just use a gallon or two and turn the tank periodically. Here's how I did it:

Tank Cleaning: with Evapo-Rust

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have used this stuff quite a bit, it works well in tanks that are moderately rusted or surface rust. Pitting will obviously still be there. POR-15 is really the best way to restore a tank properly.

Comment

In case you don't want to manually flip it you could try this .............

-Dave
                    82 GS1100E
                    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
                    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Great info folks. I love this site!!

Jay

Comment

I have used Por-15 tank sealer and I like it but it takes quite a bit of work. What is a lot easier is to use something like this (or the old electrolysis methods).

Acid Magic

I used one gallon and diluted to completely fill the tank. Left it for two days and it was completely clear of rust. You have to get the solution out and recoat the tank with gas/wd-40 or something else it will rust nearly immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                          Does Evaporust use phosphoric acid as the active ingredient?

I used some phosphoric acid from Home Depot and it worked great but the tank was pretty rusty so it left a THICK, really hard black shell on the inside.
                          Evaporust does not use any kind of acid. That is why it is the safest rust removal chemical you can buy. It uses a method called "chelation". Chemists designed a molecule that has arms or claws that fit around a rust molecule and pull it off of the base iron. Then some more chemists figured out how to mass produce it.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

It reeks of Iron when you finish with it.
                            Turns metal black as hell and does strip off chromate coatings etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X