79 plunger choke slippage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 plunger choke slippage!

Having trouble with my choke slipping on my vhnm carbs on my gs850g.

Also my bike is really cold blooded it is about 40' when I start it and I have accidentally taken out the forbidden screws. I think I put back the way they came out It takes about 5min to warm seems to run fine. Also someone told me that baking the forbidden screws out a 1/8 turn would help is that right?

The 'forbidden' fuel screws should be wound out about 5/8 to 3/4 of a turn from fully (but gently) wound in.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So I should go out fully then screw back in 5/8 a turn?

Comment

tighten (turn) the rubber underneath the knob and the choke will stay put.

Comment

before you tighten them though, I'd have a close look to see if they are cracked (they often do). I've seen a number of guys have a tight clothes beg hidden on their bike somewhere and clip it on to keep the choke cable up, it's only on there for a very short time and then simply hide it away.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by zuki4life View Post
            So I should go out fully then screw back in 5/8 a turn?
            nope, you "very gently" screw them in until you feel them stop (bottom out), be very gentle so you don't snap off the very fine tip, then you screw them out to the 5/8- 3/4 mentioned earlier. Ummm, just to be clear, the "forbidden screws" you are talking about are the fuel screws..right? and not the air screws?
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

dont these choke cables turn clockwise to lock them, or is that just certain models?
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                nope, you "very gently" screw them in until you feel them stop (bottom out), be very gentle so you don't snap off the very fine tip, then you screw them out to the 5/8- 3/4 mentioned earlier. Ummm, just to be clear, the "forbidden screws" you are talking about are the fuel screws..right? and not the air screws?
                Right

are you talking about the screws on the side, or the bottom?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X