'82 GS400E Carb Issues (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm I see what you mean...

To me, they look like overflows rather than an air inlet, but that makes no sense given the fiche clearly shows a pipe joining them...

I'm lost
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

With lookig at your pic is there a brass tube pressed into the Left Hand carb on the outside of the body that is just open to atmosphere. I can see in your pic right above where you have the arrow pointed there is a place that has not been drilled into the body.That is where you should find the brass tube I am talking about on the L.H. carb. If so attach the 2 nipples together on the inside and run you a hose off the brass fitting on the outside and that should be your bowl vent.If not attach a tee in the middle of the two carbs and run a hose off there to a dead air space.The Suzuki fiche shows two hoses coming off there.
      Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM.
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I will probably T them together but wasn't sure if contamination would be an issue.
        Seems like there is a lot of effort to keep everything clean to have this left open (even if it is a tube).

Comment

Originally posted by ianryeng View Post
          Thanks for the feedback.

I will probably T them together but wasn't sure if contamination would be an issue.
          Seems like there is a lot of effort to keep everything clean to have this left open (even if it is a tube).
          those are the BOWL VENTS.they allow the bowls to 'breathe'
          DO NOT TEE them together.

merely put a short hose on each one and let it them hang down

Comment

I know what you mean and agree about the tee thing. My GS came with the #1 and #2 and the #3 and #4 carb bowl vents attached together with a tee then with a single hose coming off that. Dynojet reccomends to simply remove the hoses in an attempt to let the bowls fill up faster and poss. not run out of fuel at WOT.I have had some bikes in the past where the bowl vent hoses came in contact with turbulant air passing past the bike and caused a negative pressure at the hoses and caused a lean running condition from not allowing the bowl to fill properly is why I reccomend finding a dead air space to route the hose into.Some of the dirt bikes I work on have as many as four bowl vents per carb in an attempt to apply as much atmospheric pressure to the fuel itself to keep from bogging or stalling while jumping and landing.
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.
              I will try to route them somewhere that that won't have a lot of wind to reduce the chance of issues. So glad I found this forum

Comment

Working...
              X