Looking for exhaust fab ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for exhaust fab ideas

I have a Hindle canister that I want to use instead of the Vance and Hines megaphone, and I need to fashion a pipe from the collector to the muffler. I dont have the means to bend pipe (or I would be posting a "look what I made" pic), so I would like some input and ideas about how to go about designing the piece and transferring that to someone who can fabricate it. I figured i would mount the can where i want it, then i would know the route for the connector. I thought about getting some flex pipe from the parts store, but that's just ignoring the experience of those who have this before who might have a better way. Thanks in advance!

you can buy exhaust bend sections seperate, ebay is a good source. determine the pipe I/D you need and roughly what sections you think you would need. they are cheap to buy, so buy a load of sections and offer them up until you get the desired shape you need.

tack them together in place, then remove and get them welded up properly.

that is the way i would (and have done) approach it.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I have basically done this when taking a GSXR 4:2:1 and adapting it with an older 4:1 can from something else to work on my ED. You have to find a section of 2" pipe for the Hindle and hopefully you still have the collector end of your megaphone, that is pretty large and basically bends towards where your hindle's inlet will be. Find a section of pipe that is smaller than the collector but larger than the can. You can split and clamp to get it close enough to weld. A cheap HF welder would be good to just tack weld the parts together and the take it down to the welder to get a nice job done. In welding it is important to have the metal clean so do that before you start snd there is less likelihood of upsetting your tack welds when at the welder.

Comment

Thanks. The collector is fine, and youre right about the ID of the canister, at 2". The ID of the collector is 2 1/8", so if i can determine the correct angle and location of the bend i can use a single 2"OD piece of pipe expanded to 2 1/8 ID at the collector. I hope I'm not creating backpressure that has to dealt with later...

Comment

Working...
        X