cleaned carb still runs bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaned carb still runs bad

hi folks.a wee 125 im putting together.i have it more or less finished but cant get it to run 100%.it wont respond when giving it throttle[kinda stalls then goes].will cut out taking off at lights.wont idle right[up and down]when i blip the throttle it will die.sounds like carb problem right?i have had the carb apart now about 7-8 times.everything cleaned and blown out with compressed air.all settings look spot on.what the hell am i missing?any help would be great thanks.

Its hard to say with out being there. Sounds like your main jet is stil clogged. Did you remove the entire jet and clean it? Or just the jet cap?

Comment

Did you replace all of the orings in the carbs? How does the spark plug look?

Comment

A "wee 125" what?? 4 stroke or 2? air filter in, exhaust on?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          A "wee 125" what?? 4 stroke or 2? air filter in, exhaust on?
          is it a GS? is it a Suzuki?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If it cuts out abruptly when you give it throttle, your slide may be sticking or the diaphram may be torn. My son's F2 does this and every time one of the slides was stuck closed.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. skikman,

Read through all of this information. Most of it will apply to your bike in a general sort of way.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
              Help! Your Bike Won't Start
              DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
              Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

it is a suzuki gs 125 4 stroke.ive had the whole carb apart.all jets,seats,neddle,choke.its a cv carb.i didnt replace any of the o rings as they were ok.there is a good strong spark at the plug.maybe i'll take it apart again and soak everything[apart from rubber]over night.starting to think could it be electrical?but what?been doing my head in for weeks.have the wee bike together and lookin well.just this to sort out.o theres no air leaks and diaphram is sound.

Comment

have you checked the valve clearances and/or done a compression check?
                  if not, do both. valves first
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Is it the original Suzuki (Mikuni) carb and not a Chinese copy? Those Chinese rip offs are poorly made and the original settings don't apply.

If it is original then it's more than likely a blockage in the pilot circuit.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Likely to have o-ring seal at carb boot to head interface- my honda single behaved badly till I replaced the 38 yearold o-ring.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

pulling my hair out

ok update.have striped and soaked,cleaned and blown everything again.
                        the inlet manifold has a o ring.looks ok.put manifold back on with instant gasket for good luck.dont think its that because it has no cracks and in good condition.anyway i sprayed carb cleaner and wd40 around boots and manifold with bike going and no difference to idle.
                        valve clearance ok,slightly loose if any.
                        dont have a compression tester but blows my finger if you know what i mean.
                        the carb is a mikuni.
                        the only thing i noticed is that the spark at the plug is more bright yellow than blue but is good and strong looking.im missing something but what

Comment

Are you using the standard air filter?
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                            Are you using the standard air filter?
                            yes standard and i cleaned and oiled it.also tried it without it.

Comment

not carb

right.i bought another used carb of ebay.put it on and its doing the same.will idle ok for a wee minute then rise up to 5000 on its own.bliping the throttle will bring it back sometimes,bring it back to low and cut out.or not bring it back. it seems to be worse when engine is warm.boots have been checked and rechecked and have been spraying wd40 around while bike is running.at my wits end

Comment

Working...
                              X