Carb Cleaning Series question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Cleaning Series question

Hi everyone, I have 1981 GS850G. Went through the carb cleaning series, and it was super helpful, which was great. However, when disassembling the carbs, I ended up with 4 small black rubber washers that I cannot recall where they came from in order to put them back for re-assembly. I started it last Friday, and today I plan on cleaning and re-assembly, but my memory is not my friend today in finding out where these go. The carb cleaning series did not reference any small black rubber washers or where they go. Any ideas?? Thanks.

what size are they? measure them or post up a pic,with a ruler next to them so we can determine what size they are. that will be a big help working out where they came from
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I bet you're on about those washers that sit between the float bowl and the carb body.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

There are a couple of good carb rebuild guides.

Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial

(Mr. Nessism)

CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide
        (Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)
        (Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

Are they washers or O-rings? Did you put washers under the main jets? Can you post a picture? Perhaps a previous owner made some substitutions. Follow the guides for reassembly and you should be OK.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here is a pic. Thanks!

Comment

Job to tell from the photo but is it flat sided?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Looks like the washer under the float needle seat.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I agree with hampshirehog and believe that they go between the float bowl and the carb body. I call them square o-rings.They hold and seal the 4 aluminum plugs up into the bodies when manufactured that are semi press fit but can loosen and leak at times.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                  I agree with hampshirehog and believe that they go between the float bowl and the carb body. I call them square o-rings.They hold and seal the 4 aluminum plugs up into the bodies when manufactured that are semi press fit but can loosen and leak at times.

Yes, see pic...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yes! "they go between the float bowl and the carb body" seems right and after jogging my memory and seeing the pic hikermikem attached it all made sense. Wow, you guys are all great. Thanks to you all. Appreciate it. Until next time fellas when I come with another question.

Comment

Working...
                    X