Petcock plug while relining - and a Kreemed fuel gauge send unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock plug while relining - and a Kreemed fuel gauge send unit

What is the best way to plug the petcock hole when it's oval? I don't have an old petcock to use.

Here's the chunks of old liner I pulled out.

Now for some pics of the sending unit. Gotta love those PO's. Someone lined the tank long ago and didn't bother to remove the sending unit. It's never worked in the two years I've had the bike and I've just judged fuel need based on mileage. Looks like now's a good time to replace. Are they available?

you can easily make up an aluminium plate to block off the pet cock hole
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hope you are planning to remove the old liner and derusting before relining.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
        Hi.

You can easily cut a piece of aluminium drill holes at the proper distances then seal it with some liquid gasket (Wichever brand) resistant to gasoline. Re-use the bolts from the petcock. Don't forget to smear the bolts heads too.

The sending unit, if you can't save it, can be gotten from members.

I have one myself from a GK. (The tank is bad) I can get pictures and test it if you like.

Daniel
        I thought about using a blank electrical plate since it's easy to drill. I'm interested in the sender. Let me know.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Hope you are planning to remove the old liner and derusting before relining.
        Yes, I'll be applying Caswell's sealer as soon it the tank is ready. Just going through the cleaning an rust removal now.

Comment

Originally posted by rteam2 View Post
          Yes, I'll be applying Caswell's sealer as soon it the tank is ready. Just going through the cleaning an rust removal now.

How did you get the old liner out? To remove Kreem you need acetone or MEK. Soak and rotate to keep the liner wet. Takes time.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            How did you get the old liner out? To remove Kreem you need acetone or MEK. Soak and rotate to keep the liner wet. Takes time.
            Those sheets of old liner came out by hand. I'll use acetone to get the rest and then metal prep before relining.

My wife said to me last night, "Why not just get a new tank?"

If only it were that easy. Besides, the peeling paint and dents in this one give it some character. Kind of like me.

Comment

I am actually glad you asked because I am a self proclaimed bit of an expert on this very thing ...do not do not do not read line that tank the only thing that that liner will do is actually inhibit the rust and make it worse in the long run cream should be banned from the market what you need to do is cut out a piece of plastic from a2 liter bottle or something similar to make a gasket for the fuel petcock . then you need to fill the tank with a bunch of roofing nails I used to pounds .use an entire gallon of acetone or MEk. make sure everything is sealed very good and put it inside of a dryer with cushions in a blanket .bypass the timer and let it run for about 48 hours straight .this will remove 100 percent of that liner .more than likely some of it is going to leak out like it did on mine is pretty much going to ruin the paint .when you pour out the solution dip it in an electrolysis tank . the final step would be to use your attic acid to remove the remaining bit of rust in the bottom of the tank .however if your tank was anything like mine you are going to discover some leaks but that is OK it's better to discover them now than later on down the road . just find a good buddy who can weld .re plug the holes in sand blast the tank . shoot it with primer and paint and you have a brand new tank .

Comment

I use my cell phone to put this in here so some things are misspelled but you get the point voice to text fail

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                  I am actually glad you asked because I am a self proclaimed bit of an expert on this very thing ...do not do not do not read line that tank the only thing that that liner will do is actually inhibit the rust and make it worse in the long run cream should be banned from the market what you need to do is cut out a piece of plastic from a2 liter bottle or something similar to make a gasket for the fuel petcock . then you need to fill the tank with a bunch of roofing nails I used to pounds .use an entire gallon of acetone or MEk. make sure everything is sealed very good and put it inside of a dryer with cushions in a blanket .bypass the timer and let it run for about 48 hours straight .this will remove 100 percent of that liner .more than likely some of it is going to leak out like it did on mine is pretty much going to ruin the paint .when you pour out the solution dip it in an electrolysis tank . the final step would be to use your attic acid to remove the remaining bit of rust in the bottom of the tank .however if your tank was anything like mine you are going to discover some leaks but that is OK it's better to discover them now than later on down the road . just find a good buddy who can weld .re plug the holes in sand blast the tank . shoot it with primer and paint and you have a brand new tank .
                  for any number of reasons you have got to be joking.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                    Your not serious? Fill the tank with a highly flammable liquid and then tumble it in an electric dryer LOL! I think I'll stick to some chain in the tank & muscles

Comment

Yea I bumped it because nobody called him on it and despite that it's retarded and horribly written someone may listen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
                        Yea I bumped it because nobody called him on it and despite that it's retarded and horribly written someone may listen to him.
                        Yea thats not a smart move for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X