Swapping Petcock of different years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Petcock of different years?

I've finally gotten back around to putting bike back on the road. My petcock is shot. Leaks like a sieve. I got a decent deal on a 79 GS850 petcock BUT it will not work properly because the fuel spout is pointing directly forward towards the #1 carb. AND there is not enough space for the fuel to flow properly; (pinches the line). I need it to point towards carb #2; the rear of the bike; or the right hand side. Which leads me to my question ...

Will the petcock that is meant for an '80 GS550L work? (I have a line on one at a reasonable price.)

It LOOKS like it points towards carb #2 or at least enough away that it should flow properly.

If this will not work, any recommendations for year & model that will work?

As usual... THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP & INPUT!

How about a 1977 Suzuki GS 550 petcock?

It looks like it would work. Thoughts? Concerns?

Comment

What is the centerline mounting bolt spacing on your current petcock? There's lots of petcocks that have fuel and vac lines facing rear. Personally, I'd avoid the leverless 80 petcock if possible-it has unique features!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So as long as the center line of the mounting bolts match up, it has the vacuum & fuel face the way I want them to, there is not a difference in the petcocks in the years between 77-82? (minus the leverless)

Comment

If at all possible, you want to avoid the "dreaded '80 petcock".

They were a different design, that had no lever to select RUN or PRIme, and there was no REServe.

The bolt spacing might have been different, too, but I am not sure about that.
          Fortunately, both of the '80 bikes in our stable are non-"L" shafties, they escaped that dreaded petcock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll get the 77 & let you all know how things work out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Please do let us know how it goes. I'm looking for a pet cock for my 79 gs1000 !!
              My bolt hole spacing center to center is 44mm.
              Cheers
              Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2013, 02:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by zedman View Post
                Please do let us know how it goes. I'm looking for a pet cock for my 79 gs1000 !!
                My bolt hole spacing center to center is 45mm.
                Cheers
                Man, I wished I could help you out. They're just rare, and the new ones just expensive, and the rebuild kits probably won't work.
                Research this thread, check out all the links, I think it will be useful.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The petcock fit absolutely perfectly. BUT ...

I received the petcock in the mail today, (technically it was yesterday.) So i went and put it on the tank; connected everything up. Then came inside to stop the cut I got from something in the garage.

So when I go back to the garage, fuel had leaked all over the floor. Apparently the petcock I just bought is NOT up to snuff. Also, it's fuel spot broke off. Off to contact the ebay seller I bought it from to see what he is going to do to compensate me or he'll get receive negative feedback.

ZEDMAN ...
                  I'll take pictures of the 750 Petcock I purchase & take measurements. If you like what tell you, maybe we can work out some type of deal. What do you think?

Comment

oh dear. I finally got off my arse and did some proper measurements. It's a standard 44mm center to center (weird, just like everyone elses !).
                    A couple days ago I ordered a Pingel valve (6211AH) and adaptor plate (A1702C) off EBAY, came to $115 (CAD) shipped to WA. I'll walk over next week (I live close to the border) and pick it up, and hopefully install next weekend !
                    Thanks for the offer though, cheers !

Comment

Well .. after several emails back & forth. the seller & i came to an agreement. I kept the petcock and he refunded me half my purchase price. I'm OK with the resolution.

NOW ... Can you guys recomend which store either brick & mortar or online for a good rebuild kit?

Comment

Originally posted by ScrumDown View Post
                        Well ..

NOW ... Can you guys recomend which store either brick & mortar or online for a good rebuild kit?
                        Wait this thread is getting confusing...
                        ScrumDown ; does your old petcock have 44mm centerline bolt spacing and both lines facing towards rear?
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X