City Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Gas Mileage

Hello all... I've been doing a bit of riding on my 82 GS750 in the city. I've noticed I'm getting abysmal gas mileage, somewhere in the neighborhood of 22-25 MPG, when I'm doing mostly city riding.

Even on the highway, I don't seem to be getting more than 30 MPG. I haven't synced the carbs with a carbtune, but could that be the problem? It has K&N pods, and a Vance and Hines exhaust.

What kind of MPG does everyone else get?

City riding exclusively, I get around 35mpg. If I mix in some spirited backroads and highway, I'm up around 45 on my '83 650G. I still think I'm on the low end of the mileage spectrum for the 650.

I have noticed an improvement in fuel mileage since the days started getting warmer and drier. The winter wet and cold was not kind to the environment from my end.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

i get closer to 30mpg strictly riding city, on my 82 750e, with stock airbox, 4-1 supertrapp, and slightly non stock sprockets. Pods and jetting generally do not benefit fuel consumption and you do need to sync the carbs. Have you looked at your plugs?

Comment

I haven't checked the plugs yet. I'm guessing that should be my first step. Should I chop them at any particular RPM, or pull them at idle?

Comment

I just hit reserve on the Cooley last night on the way home from work...217 miles on the trip meter when i switched over.

I will be refilling and doing it again because i think thats like 50 MPG. Even with the timing set right, valves right, and carbs vac synced I find that a bit of a high number. Only about 80 miles of that was highway ( running around 75 ) on the way back from a fresh fill up in Austin. The rest was regular 45 to 55 speed zone driving.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just got the bike out, so I haven't tested it this year, but I was getting about 33MPG on the 78 GS1000. 4-1, pods, stage 3 kit.

Comment

I get killer mileage- but there are some steps to follow to get it. 54MPG highway and at least 45 City.

Comment

I have a '78 GS1000 with K&N Pods and Vance and Hines 4-1 pipes with a stage 3 jet kit running the equivalent of a Mikuni 132.5 main jet. I get 44MPG in an all around mix of traffic.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                  I get killer mileage- but there are some steps to follow to get it. 54MPG highway and at least 45 City.
                  What are the steps?

Comment

Originally posted by AX2007 View Post
                    What are the steps?

The steps are in his signature. On top of that just make sure your bike is running right and your tire pressure is good.

I get between 27 and 35 mpg, but I spend 90%+ of my riding time between 5,500 and 10,000 rpm.

I also weigh 100lbs less than the bike itself and I'm as wide as a sail, which I'm sure doesn't help.

On a max speed run in 5th gear held steady at 8,500-9,000 rpm, with the bike fully loaded for adventure, I drained the tank to reserve from topped up in just 60 miles for a consumption rate of 16 mpg, lol.

I covered that 60 miles in about half an hour!
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

The key thing to note is that your mileage is way too low. Which means you must be running too rich or pouring it out the vents.
                      The carbs must be synched and you must report the colour of the plugs. Pics always help in this.
                      For a 750, unless you are wheelstanding everywhere, you should be getting around 35 mpg in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaJones View Post
                        The key thing to note is that your mileage is way too low. Which means you must be running too rich or pouring it out the vents.
                        The carbs must be synched and you must report the colour of the plugs. Pics always help in this.
                        For a 750, unless you are wheelstanding everywhere, you should be getting around 35 mpg in the city.
                        I'm fairly certain I'm running too rich, I really tried to pay attention to the bike during a ride yesterday and it kind of bogs down throughout the range. If it wasn't raining here today I would work on this, but I guess it will have to wait until next week.

Anyone in NJ have a carbtune I can borrow?!?

Comment

Proper valve adjustment

No air leaks in the airbox, boots, intake manifold orings

CLEAN air filter

Vacuum carb syncing

Pilot and mixture screws set right ( colortune tool works wonders here )

Right jetting for the bikes exhaust system

Proper tire pressures

Proper plug with a good hot spark

Timing set to specs

Brakes not dragging

These, and maybe a few others I am forgetting, ALL work in concert with each other to give optimal results.
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes I can give a more in depth explanation of what to do- it's pretty straight forward but you will be making permanent changes to your bike. But it's worth it-
                            Note you drill your exhaust baffles- not the cores- never
                            ever drill your cores. Just send me a PM and I will detail exactly what I did. It's a proven method used by racing bikers. BTW- I am 6'3" and 275- the sweet spot on this setup is 70 MPH and right around 3K- on the hi way.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM.

Comment

AWESOME! 10K RPM- you rule

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                              The steps are in his signature. On top of that just make sure your bike is running right and your tire pressure is good.

I get between 27 and 35 mpg, but I spend 90%+ of my riding time between 5,500 and 10,000 rpm.

I also weigh 100lbs less than the bike itself and I'm as wide as a sail, which I'm sure doesn't help.

On a max speed run in 5th gear held steady at 8,500-9,000 rpm, with the bike fully loaded for adventure, I drained the tank to reserve from topped up in just 60 miles for a consumption rate of 16 mpg, lol.

I covered that 60 miles in about half an hour!

Comment

Working...
                              X