Suzuki GS1000 Fuel mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1000 Fuel mixture screws

Hi, when I had my carbs apart (VM) and foolishly removed the fuel mixture screws without taking a note of their position (different story) I did notice that the tips of a couple of the screws were slightly bent. Does anybody know if this would cause a problem to the carburation?

If the recommendation is to replace the bent ones can you buy these individually rather than part of an expensive kit.

Bike actually idles and has plenty of pull although just off idle when pulling away it hesitates slightly.

Regards

yes you would need to replace them, i think suzuki still sell them but also most members here get them from Z1 enterprises
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Straightening would most likely break the tip. They can be replaced. This is a good site for gaskets and parts, make your shipping charges count: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...tem=SIK-1157SK
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks to you both - did look at the picture on the Z1 site and it shows a very fine point on the needle - all mine must be broken as they are not like this.

Are these easy to break if over-tightened?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by madreg View Post
          Thanks to you both - did look at the picture on the Z1 site and it shows a very fine point on the needle - all mine must be broken as they are not like this.

Are these easy to break if over-tightened?

Cheers
          yes, short answer, when setting them they should be lightly seated before turning out to the desired setting.
          unfortunately some peoples idea of lightly seating is screw them in as tight as they can. that breaks the tips off, then usually results in a stuck screw which then cannot be removed..........
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

over tightening not only breaks the tips, but can distort the seats and cause an over rich condition
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Will replace them all, hope no damage to seats etc.

Thanks

Comment

Look in the throats of the carburetors over where the pilot fuel screw is. If they are all broken they may still be stuck in there. Tapping on the point should release it to fall out of the seat.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Will have a look at the week-end and let you know, cheers

Comment

Check the "what do these pictures tell me thread" for some info
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have the same issue, three out of four are broken. However, my fuel mixture screws do not look like these:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

They look like the ones shown here:

I have a '79 GS1000. Are these interchangeable?

Thanks
                      -Matt

Comment

Z1 lists the pointed ones for the KZ 1000 ( If I remember right )...which are the same ones you need.
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

All, just to update you on what I have done.

Managed to get all the fuel mixture screws out (see pic), purchased 4 x overhaul kits from NRP, excellent service and quality of the parts is also excellent, link below.

Carbs back on and difficulty starting, seems like it was flooding although when warmed up the pickup was much improved as was the tick-over. Remembered that the choke jet / tubes were cracked when I had the carbs apart, separate thread on this forum indicated these being cracked could cause over-fueling on the choke. Have now soldered the cracks (see pic) not very tidy but hopefully this will work, will let you know how I get on.

PS I did look at the instructions by "Hoomgar" to remove the broken mixture screw tips but did not have the tools he has. I used a socket extension bar as a lever to ease the tips flush with the carb body, I then used a small woodscrew as it has a hard sharp point, held with a pair of pliers to push the tip through. Worked on all four and no damage.

Comment

Here is pick of soldered choke jet / tube

Comment

Doesnt matter that it is soldersed..what matters is that its clear, Should be a tiny pin hole in the bottom and holding up to a light you should see a speck of light down the tube. Ever so so slightly pinch the end with the big holes and reinsert it back into the carb body. Give it a few seating taps with a plastic screw driver handle.

If its hanging up in the bowl, just file the solder down till it goes in.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-30-2013, 09:40 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X