Making own carb gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making own carb gaskets

Just curious how many of you guys make your own gaskets for carburetors?

I am about to go through and clean my carbs and adjust them.

I am considering making my own gaskets for them instead of dropping the cash for factory gaskets since I have gasket material and the appropriate tools to make them.

I just got my order from cycleorings.com. (So that's cool)

Just looking for input.

I am on a strict budget and still have a lot of things to go through since it is a new to me bike (1977 gs 750 b).

Any input would be appreciated since I could save a considerable amount of cash and pick up an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight instead, they are cheaper than carb dip.

Thanks again for any input.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 12:50 AM.

Homemade gasket on the left. Xacto knife, scissors, paper hole punch...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Very nice Nessism... : ) I'm hoping I have a good gasket to make a template out of.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

There are people who use those Cricut Expression and similar SCRAPBOOK die cutting machines. i've been thinking about it for some time now .. but don't know much about it.

Comment

I've made them for years. The first time you do it it can be a little fiddly but you soon get the hang of it. A little tip I was given by a pro mechanic is to take some axle grease and with yout thumb and forefinger work it into both sides of the paper. It will stop the gasket from sticking to the carb and it will come off easier next time.

Give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            I've made them for years. The first time you do it it can be a little fiddly but you soon get the hang of it. A little tip I was given by a pro mechanic is to take some axle grease and with yout thumb and forefinger work it into both sides of the paper. It will stop the gasket from sticking to the carb and it will come off easier next time.

Give it a go.
            Now that is a good tip, yes make your own.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

i've made my own gaskets with good results. and i grease all of my gaskets. it makes install easier, jump starts expansion, and removal is much easier.

Comment

That's a great tip, appreciate it.

I will me making my own.

Comment

Cereal boxes work great. I've used them on valve covers, differential covers, intake manifolds... the list goes on.

Comment

You guys all need craftsy women. My wife cuts most of my gaskets from cereal boxes using her Cricut.

Comment

Cereal boxes, seriously lol. (thats great) lol... I just got back after a few pints, that's awesome. lol. I think i will use gasket material, but I like the frugalness..

Comment

You'd be surprised what trail fixes makes into actual repairs. Lots of everyday items are perfect materials with the right mindset.
                        Cereal boxes are pressed fiber, some times gasket boxes are better material than the gaskets themselves
                        Unless on exhaust sides...

Comment

I just get them from Sirius Consolidated for the VMs...9 bucks for a pack of 4 cant be beat anywhere from what I have seen. Just order them a week before you "plan" on redoing the carbs.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hey, I accidentally ripped a gasket while taking apart my carbs;
                            I have a cereal box, but the box material appears to be almost half the thickness of the gaskets that are in there. Is this a problem?

Comment

I use card stock and a very light bead of sealer and it works fine. You shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X