Valve adjusting snafu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjusting snafu

So, today I decided to give it a shot checking to see what valve shims are in my GS450TX. I was previously referred to the 'cable tie trick' in a write up on BassCliff's website. The trick worked like a charm! Unfortunately, I decided to try swapping both intake shims, to see if the 2.65 on the right valve, would put my left valve in tolerance. So, I took the right shim out and began turning the cam in order to get to the left shim. Before swapping the shims, I noticed that now the cam lobe is stuck in the valve shim 'seat', and if I turn any further, am risking doing damage to the cam lobe and shim 'seat'. I know I'm not the first to make this irritating mistake, so I'm wondering what is the solution to depressing the valve in order to get the shim back in??? Thanks to anyone for a tips out of this predicament!

Can you just place the last removed shim back in then rotate it backwards? If that will work, inspect the cam and bucket edges for scraping i.e. metal chips. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
      Can you just place the last removed shim back in then rotate it backwards? If that will work, inspect the cam and bucket edges for scraping i.e. metal chips. Ray
      Well, from what I can see, in order to get the cam lobe in position to put the shim back in, I would have to rotate it and thus it would scrape the bucket edges. Also, for some stupid reason, I removed the cable tie while the valve was open, so now the valve is closing all the way, as well. This has proven to be a pretty frustrating day...

Comment

If all else fails, ... remove the carbs, remove the cam chain tensioner, loosen the cams, lift them out of the way to re-insert your shims.

This will, of course, require re-timing the cams (it's good to verify that they are correct, anyway) and PROPERLY re-install the tensioner, but it will work.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If all else fails, ... remove the carbs, remove the cam chain tensioner, loosen the cams, lift them out of the way to re-insert your shims.

This will, of course, require re-timing the cams (it's good to verify that they are correct, anyway) and PROPERLY re-install the tensioner, but it will work.

That's what I was afraid of. Trying to stay away from that, if it all possible...

Comment

Do as Steve says, he knows this stuff. It's really not that hard, not when compared to replacing all that crap because you screwed it up.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by schmitty78 View Post
              That's what I was afraid of. Trying to stay away from that, if it all possible...
              How long do you think it will take to TRY to get everything unstuck without removing the cams?
              AND to do it without any damage?

Removing and replacing the cams should easily be done within an hour for a first-timer.
              When you have to do it again, it will likely take no more than half an hour.

Personally, I would remove the cams.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                How long do you think it will take to TRY to get everything unstuck without removing the cams?
                AND to do it without any damage?

Removing and replacing the cams should easily be done within an hour for a first-timer.
                When you have to do it again, it will likely take no more than half an hour.

Personally, I would remove the cams.

Well, I guess I have all day. And the service manual. Maybe I'll give it a go. Guess I'll start by reading up on setting the timing...

Comment

Steve and Tom are correct, if you have to turn it any further, you will be doing "in place machining". You won't like the results. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Yup, Steve's on the money as usual, there's no other *safe* way to proceed...

As for the cam chain tensioner, timing, etc. it's all pretty straight forward and if you're not feeling confident there are plenty of us on here who've done it before and can give advice.

I probably have some suitable photos of my 450 getting cam timing done too if it helps.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X