1978 GS550 only runs on "pri" setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 only runs on "pri" setting

I bought and replaced my old notworking petcock. the new one is great, it works well, the only thing i'm concerned about is that the bike only runs on the "pri" setting. I can put it on "on" and it seems to run on just whats left in the carbs.

However, when i put it on "pri" it runs great. It runs like it should, and doesn't bog or do anything wrong.

Is running it on pri going to hurt anything? Or is it an easy fix to get it to run correctly in the on position?

I hope this all makes sense, i find it easier to say things than to type them out haha. Thanks!

have you connected the vacuum hose from the carbs to the petcock? it will only work on prime if there is no vacuum to open it on "on" or "res"
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yeah, i've got it hooked up. maybe it has a clog in it or something?

Comment

are you sure it is the correct pipe. the vacuum pipe not one of the 2 vent pipes?
        is it tight on the ends and no splits in it?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

I do believe it's the right one..I'm not entirely sure. When i got the bike it had a vacuum petcock on it...but the back of the petcock had no vacuum nipple. Someone fabbed up a backplate for it. So when i put this new petcock on, i was looking around and found one tucked down into the airbox so i hooked it up. It could very well be the wrong one i suppose. Where should i look to find the right hose?

The one i hooked it to is tight and has no cracks. It comes from in between the 2 carbs on the left side of the bike if you're sitting on it. I think it's carbs 1 and 2.

Comment

that is a vent pipe, you need a pipe that comes off the left side of #3 carb, just under the throttle linkage. (assuming you have VM carbs, i dont know)
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Okay sweet! Thanks. I'll go fiddle around and see if i can find it. I'll be back if i get too confused haha.

Comment

Okay, so i took the hose from the number 3 carb and put it on. It did the same thing, i have mikuni carbs if that makes any difference.

Comment

can you post a pic of what you have?
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. DamKevinBoyd,

Have you received your "mega-welcome". If not, here ya go...

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here's some pictures, i labelled them as best as i could. I hope it makes sense and you can see alright. I've been looking and i don't see any other loose hoses, or any place for another hose to connect to :\ i am confused lol

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

I should also note that both of those tubes were just hanging, i guess they are vent tubes. I figured one was a vacuum line though.

Comment

ok here is a pic. the 2 blue (wobbly) arrows are the vent tubes, like you have.
                          the green (wobbly) arrow is where the vacuum pipe joins to the petcock

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Good lookin' bike

maybe this will help

Comment

AH-HA! SUCCESS!

I took the tank off and found the vacuum line. http://imgur.com/a/PhK9M

I took the bike out again and it ran just fine. Thanks a lot for your help and the links! It's very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X