Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 carb vents

Hi guys,

So I just received my carb #4 replacement today and it is from the Canadian model. I noticed that the only difference between my carbs it the port for the vent from the float bowl (T fitting). The American carbs are bored out so that the fitting can go into both but the Canadian had a fitting that just linked both carbs together and didn't connect into a "T". My question is, should I drill out the hole in the Canadian carb so the T fitting fits or should I just leave it open and let it vent? Will this affect the performance of carbs 3 and 4? Is there a purpose for both of them to connect into a "T" to vent beyond a clean setup?

So you are saying that you cannot get a T-vent in there? Something sounds wonky, as my Canadian 650GD certainly has that.

Are you talking about Part #71 here?

Are you sure it's a #4?

Got some pics?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      So you are saying that you cannot get a T-vent in there? Something sounds wonky, as my Canadian 650GD certainly has that.

Are you talking about Part #71 here?

Are you sure it's a #4?

Got some pics?

This is what it looks like. I might need to drill it out to get the T-vent to fit in there.

This is what it looks like when originally attached to the ganged carbs.

What do you think?

Comment

Something does not look right there, but I cannot put my finger on it. Do not drill anything, yet. Let me have a look at my carbs to see what is up.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

These came from a Canadian 1983 GS650GD I believe. Everything else seems match up except for the air/fuel mixture screw and it doesn't have a cap like the American version. I'm going to reinstall American parts within this carb.

Comment

If there is no cap, then it has been removed. There would have been one on there initially. The Canadian needles have adjustment notches in them as well, something the US version did not have.

I'm at work today, but I will have a peek at the carbs when I get home tonight and try to figure out why that looks wrong.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Sounds great man, thank you! The second picture that I sent you is the connection of carburetors 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are connected in the exact same way so there is no difference.

Ultimately, what would happen if I didn't attach a vent hose to either of those ports and just left them there to function normally?

Comment

I can't say what would happen if you didn't hook up the t-vent, I guess you could run into pressure problems with the carbs/stuck float, etc...

That individual carb just looks wrong for the bike. It looks like a cast nipple where the removable tee should go.

I couldn't get a decent shot with the P&S camera...but you can see the fuel tee (sans vent line) here:

Last edited by BigD_83; 05-22-2013, 01:58 AM.
                '83 GS650G

Comment

The thing is man is everything else checks out perfectly! The only thing is that vent nipple. I will just bore it out with a drill press and make sure the fitting goes in there. Shouldn't be a big problem. I've already had many issues with this damn #4 carb.

Comment

Working...
                  X