Carb help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb help please!!!

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, I have a 1982 gs 650 gl. I have removed the stock air box and am putting 4 pod filters in its place. I also cut the mufflers off the exhaust. Bike is running to lean now. I adjust mixture screws a little bit and it helped a little but not to familiar with carbs (I'm a diesel mechanic lol) any thoughts on what to do? It runs good in town now but pops on the highway when I throttle it, choking it helps a bit to.

Thanks

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Turninwrenches,

You are running very lean and will damage the engine unless you make adjustments. You'll have to increase the jetting, up 4 to 6 sizes on the mains, maybe one on the pilot, and raise the needles. There is lots of information in the forum on the subject of you do a little searching. Here's some more info that may be handy.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

A dynojet stage 3 jet kit should take care of it.

Comment

Good luck on riding it anytime soon...LMAO.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turninwrenches View Post
          Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, I have a 1982 gs 650 gl. I have removed the stock air box and am putting 4 pod filters in its place. I also cut the mufflers off the exhaust. Bike is running to lean now. I adjust mixture screws a little bit and it helped a little but not to familiar with carbs (I'm a diesel mechanic lol) any thoughts on what to do? It runs good in town now but pops on the highway when I throttle it, choking it helps a bit to.

Thanks
          Put the airbox back on and weld those pipes back on too Just kidding. Your going to need to jet up, how you dial it in is anyone's guess. Never understand the no muffler motorcycle Good luck with it, someone will be able to help guide you. Welcome to the site!

Comment

My 750 screams above 6000 rpm, couldn't imagine it open piped, lol.

Comment

I have pretty much the exact setup as you do. I have pod filters and am also dealing with straight pipes. Killer sound these bikes can produce. Definitely increase your jet sizing with a Dynojet Stage 3 Kit and make sure your carbs are synced well. I would recommend extending the pipes a little further back to deaden the sound. Some city ordinances are pretty intense when it comes to sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Turninwrenches View Post
                Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, I have a 1982 gs 650 gl. I have removed the stock air box and am putting 4 pod filters in its place...

Thanks
                Put the stock airbox and related parts in box to save. Very popular item on ebay! Did this 650 run well before?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes bike ran fine before drove it all last year modified it over winter. Will look into getting the jet kit thank you staninator

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Just noticed my threads made it into The MegaWelcome -

I'd like to thank the academy . . .

Comment