I dont know where to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know where to start.

The bike runs decent but the more I ride the higher the idle hangs.

Things that look fishy= The petcock only runs on res, if i put it on fuel(middle) it will sputter and die).

2- I see a vaccum line not connected from the petcock to the carb. When I connect it to the open vacuum the bike revs like crazy(4-5K rpm). But on res without the vacum being plugged it runs fairly decent at first but will idle hang the more I ride.

3- I changed the intake o rings and boots and even sealed anything I could with sealent. But the problem is still there.

So should I plug the vacuum run it on fuel and adjust the carbs that way? Or I'm I opening up a can of worms?

the bike is a gs400 the vacuum im talking about is on the right side carb(brake side of the bike)

Ok lets start at the beginning. What is the state of the carbs themselves? When were they last cleaned and rebuilt with new o-rings? No point in fiddling with anything else until the carbs are known to be working correctly.

Let us know this first please.

Comment

ok so carbs where cleaned and rebuilt about 2 yrs ago. It wasnt with me as the owner it's what the previous owner told me. But they seem to be fine and don't have hesitation or visibly leak.

Comment

So is this a 3 position petcock- on, res, pr ?? maybe someone has modified it to correct a problem. disconnect the lines and see which spot(s) flow fuel without vacuum applied- yeah, you said it flowed in res.
        I'd consider a new petcock, but you need to know what the bolt centerline spacing is on tank.

PS; previous owners tend to withold the complete info
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What bike are we taliking about here?
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

the bike is a 83 gs400e canadian model. The bike is pretty decent for its age but like you said im sure the previous owner didnt tell me everything. Should I plug the vacuum put it on fuel and try to adjust the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by tommyz24 View Post

2- I see a vaccum line not connected from the petcock to the carb. When I connect it to the open vacuum the bike revs like crazy(4-5K rpm). But on res without the vacum being plugged it runs fairly decent at first but will idle hang the more I ride.
              From your first post, are you saying the vacuum port on the carb is open, and is sucking air freely?? AND the bike will run OK like this?
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

No, the vacuum port connects to the petcock with the lever on the middle position. Prime bypasses the vacuum valve and constantly dumps fuel. Back down on the idle and connect the vacuum line to the vacuum port. It has most likely and mistakenly been adjusted so it will run with a massive vacuum leak. With the vacuum line to the petcock connected, adjust for proper idle and hopefully your problem is solved. If not, a carburetor rebuild is probably in order. Hanging idle is a symptom of a vacuum leak.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

that's what im going to try next, i'll keep you guys posted on the progress

Comment

Welcome to the forum. If you go up to User CP, you can list your bike year and model in your signature and put a location in your details. It makes it a lot easier to help and who knows you might have help nearby.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi,

CLICK HERE. How many of these maintenance tasks have YOU completed? You can't trust the previous owner or a shop. Period. You MUST do it yourself to be sure it's done right. Thirty year old bikes need maintenance. Once you have properly completed all the necessary maintenance tasks your bike should be near perfect.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X