bike is falling on its face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike is falling on its face

well im back with other issues . went for a ride today after butting some parts in her (81 gs 850gl), wos running strong, rode for about 2-3mils and it started to fall on its face. turn the throttle loss of rps. wuld wont to start when choked but wuld stall. the only way i got it home wos to run it on prime. im going to pull the petcock and cleen. other input wuld be nice

Suzuki fun! Honestly, just get a new petcock and eliminate it as a problem forever- cleaning /rebuilding is iffy. Maybe for less than $50 this one would work- seller has others. Z1 has them too

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

that petcock looks just like the 1 on my bike. i think im going to take the bike to a shop and have them redo the carbs. i dont think they did it right the last time. i do think because i dont have the right tools for the job and this last batch of parts tap me out and this shop will let em pay when i can. i love small towns.

Comment

you say you took it for a ride "after putting some parts on"........what parts have you fitted?
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by striker View Post
          i think im going to take the bike to a shop and have them redo the carbs. i dont think they did it right the last time.
          You think they will do it any better this time?
          Learn to do this stuff yourself or buy a new bike.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

that petcock looks just like the 1 on my bike. i think im going to take the bike to a shop and have them redo the carbs. i dont think they did it right the last time. i do think because i dont have the right tools for the job and this last batch of parts tap me out and this shop will let em pay when i can. i love small towns.
            If the shop messed up the carbs the first time, what makes you think they will do them any better the second time around?

There are several members on this forum that will be happy to do your carbs for you.

You will get a better job and quite likely a far cheaper price.

I am one of those carb guys, let me know what you want done.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well the parts were, all used. 2 coils, igniter box and R/R. and i live in up state NY for those of u asking to rebuild the carbs for me. i wuld love to learn how to do this my self. like i sead i dont have the proper tools for a carb job. as for the shop i think the new coils and other parts have a lot to do with it not running perfect. i tend to be verry picky and a little OCD.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

well the parts were, all used. 2 coils, igniter box and R/R. and i live in up state NY for those of u asking to rebuild the carbs for me. i wuld love to learn how to do this my self. like i sead i dont have the proper tools for a carb job. as for the shop i think the new coils and other parts have a lot to do with it not running perfect. i tend to be verry picky and a little OCD.
                Did you get a Megawelcome?

Read it

Carbs only require a few simple hand tools
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i think i give up. eny 1 wont to buy a 81 gs 850gl, 15,000 mil now with a ticking in the engine?

Comment

i think i give up. eny 1 wont to buy a 81 gs 850gl, 15,000 mil now with a ticking in the engine?
                    15 k - it's barely broken in! You said..."wuld love to learn how to do this my self" so let's buckle up and get to it. Lots of help on here to guide you. Many folks new-to-carbs have done it and actually succeeded- no special tools, just follow the guidelines on here. Don't get intimidated,get inspired.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome

well im back with other issues . went for a ride today after butting some parts in her (81 gs 850gl), wos running strong, rode for about 2-3mils and it started to fall on its face. turn the throttle loss of rps. wuld wont to start when choked but wuld stall. the only way i got it home wos to run it on prime. im going to pull the petcock and cleen. other input wuld be nice
                      Wow, you did an intro back on Sep 15, 2012 and had 23 views with zero replies. You've started 7 threads but I didn't see your Mega Welcome.

Don't give up on your bike...I've yet to start my rebuild on my second "T" but I really want to learn how to take sections apart and put them back together as GSR members have done. Take a look at this website and get yourself educated on your bike.

Good luck and don't give up!

EDIT: Post pictures of your bike!

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-23-2013, 05:03 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

so i pulled out all the spark plugs to see wot the ticking wos. and i can see valves hanging down in 3 and 4 cylinders. #3 y can see just a tiny bit but a lot in #4. im pretty sheer that's a bad thing right????

Comment

so i pulled out all the spark plugs to see wot the ticking wos. and i can see valves hanging down in 3 and 4 cylinders. #3 y can see just a tiny bit but a lot in #4. im pretty sheer that's a bad thing right????
                          wrong, that is just because the valves are open. if you turn the engine over while still looking through the plug holes you will see them all moving up and down.
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

i thout that #1 and 4 fire at the same time and # 2 and 3 fire. so i shuld not see the valve on 3 if i see it on 4. i cant see valves in 1 and 2

Comment

Do a compression check or just put your finger over the spark plug hole and crank it. If the air does not get by your finger you have zero compression.
                              If your valves were hanging open you would have more than a tick.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X