bike is falling on its face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by striker View Post
    i thout that #1 and 4 fire at the same time and # 2 and 3 fire. so i shuld not see the valve on 3 if i see it on 4. i cant see valves in 1 and 2
    the sparks on 1&4 and 2&3 may spark at the same time but they dont fire at the same time, when #1 is up on the compression stroke(firing), both valves closed, #4 is up on the exhaust stroke, exhaust valve fully open. same as 2 & 3.
    there is also a degree of valve overlap, where both valves will appear to be open at the same time,although 1 may be closing as the other is opening
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

well im back with other issues . went for a ride today after butting some parts in her (81 gs 850gl), wos running strong, rode for about 2-3mils and it started to fall on its face. turn the throttle loss of rps. wuld wont to start when choked but wuld stall. the only way i got it home wos to run it on prime. im going to pull the petcock and cleen. other input wuld be nice
      I had a problem similar to that, the vacuum line to the petcock came off.
      Check yours for loose connections, holes, kinks, etc.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Petcock

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        I had a problem similar to that, the vacuum line to the petcock came off.
        Check yours for loose connections, holes, kinks, etc.
        Also check for 2-3mm cut on the edges of the vacuum hose. Mine caused a leak into the secondary airbox and down the resevoir. I cut the damaged portion and installed a spare fuel petcock and all is well again.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The problems you describe in your first post sound like there's a massive air leak, causing the bike to run very lean as it warms up. Opening up the choke enriches the mixture and allows the engine to limp along as best it can. So your first order of business is finding that leak. Could be anywhere between the airbox snorkel and the intake side of the head.

There was some talk about the petcock, but unless you've tested it separately and know it to be bad, you're shooting in the dark, so to speak. The art of troubleshooting a problem like this is to eliminate each possible cause one-by-one until you've found the problem.

Of course, you have to start with a good baseline, which pretty much means doing all of the periodic maintenance found in the service manual. And of course, if you're a member here, you almost certainly already know about the near-bottomless pit of GS knowledge that is BassCliff's site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._Greeting.html and http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Don't give up, that bike needs your help, and with all of the info and knowledge here, you have the resources to do it yourself. Dig in, get your hands dirty, and fix your bike! If you won't do that, then you're missing out on at least half the fun of owning one of these relics!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i think i give up. eny 1 wont to buy a 81 gs 850gl, 15,000 mil now with a ticking in the engine?
            I'm a girl and I was able to rebuild my carbs with the help of this forum. No reason that you can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
              I'm a girl and I was able to rebuild my carbs with the help of this forum. No reason that you can't do it.
              That should do it!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                Maybe you've left him incapable of typing!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Maybe you've left him incapable of typing!
                  It does seem to be the case.

Comment

Working...
                  X