Leaking carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking carbs

Hey, I found a plethora of information on my problem here but nothing on how to stop the immediate issue.

I have leaking carbs and the petcock being turned to PRI or RES will not stop the leaking until I can research and fix the issue.

What can I do to stop the leaking NOW because it's leaking fuel all over my driveway.

Also, does this problem happening have anything to do with switching from ethanol blended 93 to unblended 93 fuel?

Thanks

Your petcock is shot and your float needles/seats aren't doing their job, either.

For the short term, pull the main fuel line and plug it. You may also have to plug the vacuum line that runs to the #2 carb. Keep in mind, you won't be able to ride the bike like this but it will stop the fuel from ending up on the drive.

Long term, you need a new petcock. It is vacuum opperated and when working correctly, when the bike is not running, the petcock will only flow in the PRIme position. Switch it to RUN and if it is still flowing fuel, do what I mentioned above.

Welcome to the GSR. We can fix your bike with a little effort from you.

What bike do you have?? ?

Comment

Is the line you're suggesting I pull the one going into the petcock?

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

There should be two lines. One for the vacuum port (smaller of the two) and one running down to the fuel T between the #2 and #3 carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          There should be two lines. One for the vacuum port (smaller of the two) and one running down to the fuel T between the #2 and #3 carbs.
          I see the vacuum line but how do I get to the other line for fuel? Do I have to take the tank off?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. incarceration,

Yes, take the tank off so you can get to the carbs. As has been mentioned all you can do is disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines from the carbs and plug them so that nothing leaks from the fuel tank. You need a new petcock and possibly new float valves/seals in the carbs. Read these:

Overflowing Carbs

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Then continue below:

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, I read those archived threads and websites before coming here.

My problem is I can't get the fuel line off with the squeeze tie on it, it's impossible to get to even with moving the tank and I can't REMOVE the tank because the fuel line going between the carbs won't come off.

Also, does this have anything to do with switching to unblended fuel after using blended fuel for a couple years?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Comment

Hi,

Then disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines from the petcock. Then you can remove the tank. Don't forget to disconnect the fuel gauge connections. Of course, you can remove the lines from the carbs. People do it every day. Get some long nose pliers down there to remove the pinch ring. You might as well remove the airbox and carbs while you're at it since you need to disassemble the carbs and clean them properly anyway.

It has nothing to do with the type of fuel. Cut the lines if you have to. You can always buy new lines. It's probably a good idea to replace the old rubber lines anyway.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I finally managed to get the fuel tank completely off; it wasn't pretty but I got it lol.

Now tomorrow I'll figure out what to do next, it's getting late\dark here and I don't have a garage where I'm living now while away at college.

Thanks for the quick responses guys

TO BE CONTINUED TOMORROW\OVER THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! lol

Comment

Then, when you are done, get rid of that "93" fuel, blended or unblended.

Your bike was designed to run on 87, using 93 will hurt it more than it will help it.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am pretty sure that's what the pump says, "93" octane, but idk, I can't remember 100%; been a long day.

Anyway, does it say that in the manual anywhere? I've always heard from other people (of course) to run "premium" in motorcycles and unblended is even better for them?

Comment

"Premium" fuel is necessary in some engines, but virtually all of the GS line was designed for low-octane fuel.

However, if you have installed a big-bore kit with high-compression pistons, extra-lumpy cams, etc., you might need "premium" fuel, but simply using it when it's not necessary will NOT add any power. In fact, there is LESS power available in a gallon of "premium" fuel than there is in "regular". The higher octane is NOT a measure of power, it is a measure of resistance to ignition due to heat (caused by higher compression). The extra power comes from the higher compression, the higher octane is a "crutch" or a "band-aid" that lets you use the higher compression.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah I know what the higher octane is for, just heard it from many should-be reputable people.

I'll swap the gas in it once I get it back up and running properly lol

Comment

And put a new fuel line on it
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I found some parts on ebay and stuff but I also read that it's best to have OEM parts. How do I know the parts I'm looking at say OEM without the person\site specifying?

Like this one for example:

or

Comment

Working...
                              X