No announcement yet.

Leaking carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model # Mikuni BS34SS. I'd review this link since it pertains to 450 carbs- full monty carb clean

I'll be ridiculed for this, but I'm used to it- here's what I'd try. Remove carbs, pull off fuel bowls, and inspect for crap at float needle seats and sediment in bowl bottom. Then check float heights.Since you said it was running OK before, just maybe the new petcock will be enough at this time. Who knows -it's worth a shot. Once you've done it, these carbs aren't too bad to remove later if you find you have to do a thorough carb cleaning. (and you will sooner or later)
    Last edited by tom203; 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Those seem different than my carbs, the ones that are like mine are the ones in the exploded view that I linked.

The bowls are different, the top brackets are different, one has the choke cable in a different area\different configuration

Comment

My link and yours lead to same carb - 83 gs450LD at least on my old computer! Look at parts fiches for 82 and 84 models and see if they are like your carbs. Sometimes the fiches are wrong
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Look on the 6th page of the PDF in yours and then look at the bowl in this picture here I took of mine:

Mine is completely open and yours isn't. Mine also has that choke cable tube on the top and yours doesn't. Mine has the bracket for the throttle cable only on top of one of the carbs and yours has a bracket between and on both

Here's a link to a picture of the exploded view of mine and I've highlighted in green the parts that are apparently different to me, there may be others, but I'm not sure 100% what else differs but the ones I highlighted are the ones that show me they're slightly different:

And while I'm at it, here are the others I took with it:
          Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

6th page of PDF ?? you're taxing my meager computer skills. There's always the chance, you have an earlier set of carbs. You need a 450 guy- if no one responds soon, send a PM to member pete - he dwells in the land down under, so you might have to wait till his time zone awakes! tell him to skip to your more recent posts about your style carbs.
            1981 gs650L

Comment

Yeah, here's the one that is referenced in the carb cleaning guide PDF you showed me:

and here is what mine looks like in that same\similar view (the bowls and inside layout around the float):

Thanks for all the help you've given thus far though! It's been greatly helpful and informative; I will wait for Pete, is that his member name? Just Pete?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

That carb cleaning was on a 80 gs450 as I recall, so yeah, stuff will be different- it was a general guide as to what cleaning entails.. As they say..."your mileage may be different,blah, blah"
                My computer likes imageshack only slightly better than youtube! my most used keys are ctrl,alt del in unison
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Ohh, ok, I wasn't sure if it was gonna be exact, sorry, my bad.

Haha what's wrong with imageshack and youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by incarceration View Post
                    Ohh, ok, I wasn't sure if it was gonna be exact, sorry, my bad.

Haha what's wrong with imageshack and youtube?
                    Nothing probably for normal computers- my 2004 xp suffers from terminal confusion when exposed to heaps of info- just like me!
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Ah! You know XP is going to be unsupported by MS come 04\2014, right?
                      I have a Carputer in my car that runs on XP, you probably just need some more RAM and a [carb] tuneup if it's running like crap lol

Comment

Man I have been having the hardest time getting any of these screws out. I have tried all of my Phillips screw drivers and nothing will loosen these.

There are 2, one for each carb. Any ideas?
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You need a genuine Vice-Grip plier - 5 inch long model is my favorite, the jaws are super hardenned (at least they were on non Chinese ones) and serrated to grip screw heads- end on is best. grab,clamp on, and twist will break those suckers loose. Try to buy/steal a madeinUSA version - my first from 1966 is still working
                          Xp no longer supported by MS ? - great news , maybe they won't send me any updates .
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            You need a genuine Vice-Grip plier - 5 inch long model is my favorite, the jaws are super hardenned (at least they were on non Chinese ones) and serrated to grip screw heads- end on is best. grab,clamp on, and twist will break those suckers loose. Try to buy/steal a madeinUSA version - my first from 1966 is still working
                            Xp no longer supported by MS ? - great news , maybe they won't send me any updates .
                            Haha that's what got my other 16 loose that absolutely refused to budge.

How do I get them in between the 2 posts though to get latched onto the head of the screw in that last picture next to the float needle though?

Comment

As far as I can tell, a small vicegrip held vertically should be able to bite into screw head and let you snap it about 10 degrees CCW.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Yeah! I'm gonna give it a go in a bit, I just went to ace and picked up hex head screws to replace the others and a small pair of needle nose vice grips

I got it out!
                                Here are pictures of the float needle assembly; how does it look? The o-ring even looks fine and shiny still
                                Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X